Why the principal nth root is unique ?

• Thread starter mahmoud2011
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary, the principal nth root is a unique real number that satisfies (\sqrt[n]{x})^{n} = x, where x is a real number and n is a natural number. This uniqueness is inherent in the definition and does not require a separate proof.
mahmoud2011
Why the principal nth root is unique ? I mean in the definition of the princibal nth root it says:
let x be a real number and n is natural number [itex]n \geq 1[/itex].if n is odd , the principal nth root of x denoted [itex]\sqrt[n]{x}[/itex],is the unique real number satisfying [itex](\sqrt[n]{x})^{n} = x[/itex].if n is even , the principal nth root of x denoted [itex]\sqrt[n]{x}[/itex] is defined similarly provided [itex]x \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt[n]{x} \geq 0[/itex].

so why it is unique is there a proof .

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The standard proof is to assume that [itex]r_1^n = r_2^n = x[/itex] (i.e. there are two roots) and try to show that [ itex]r_1 = r_2[/itex] (i.e. the roots must be the same).

I haven't worked out the proof completely, but I suppose it would be something along the lines of:
Consider
[tex]\frac{r_1^n}{r_2^n} = \left(\frac{r_1}{r_2}\right)^n = 1[/tex]

mahmoud2011 said:
Why the principal nth root is unique ? I mean in the definition of the princibal nth root it says:
let x be a real number and n is natural number [itex]n \geq 1[/itex].if n is odd , the principal nth root of x denoted [itex]\sqrt[n]{x}[/itex],is the unique real number satisfying [itex](\sqrt[n]{x})^{n} = x[/itex].if n is even , the principal nth root of x denoted [itex]\sqrt[n]{x}[/itex] is defined similarly provided [itex]x \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt[n]{x} \geq 0[/itex].

Uniqueness is not something that requires a proof. For odd n, there is only one real root, all others are complex. For even n and x > 0, there are two real roots, one positive and the other negative, all others are complex. The unique roots are the particular roots defined to be such.

One thing that could contribute to a proof is that all the roots for the given n and x have the same magnitude, so the "unique" root must be unique.

I proved it using intermediate theorem by assuming a real number c such that 0<x<c , let f(x) = x^n then f(x) is continuous on [0,c] and 0<a<c<c^n .so here we use intermediate value theorem , where there is at least one real number m such that f(m)=a in other words m^n = a .here we proved its existence. Since f is increasing on [0,c] which can be proved easily then there must be on real number m satisfying m^n =a , a>0 (I proved that by contradiction by assuming there exist two numbers satisfying this ) .We can prove similarly that for a<0 where n is odd . I am not sure this proof is right , but this is what I can by my weak mathematical background , also before I write this proof I was stuck in the proof of if c>1 then c^n > c , n is a postive integer , this I can't prove can you help me to prove it.

I guess the real question is, what is your definition of "principle nth root"? You should find that "uniqueness" comes directly from the definition.

What definiton are you using?

mahmoud2011 said:

This is the definition I am using.

1. Why is the principal nth root unique?

The principal nth root is unique because it is the only root that satisfies the definition of a principal nth root, which is the first root of a complex number in polar form. It is also the only root that falls within the principal branch of the complex logarithm function.

2. How is the principal nth root different from other nth roots?

The principal nth root is different from other nth roots because it is the only root that is chosen as the principal root. This means that it is the most commonly used or most important root in a given context. Other nth roots may exist, but they are not considered as significant as the principal root.

3. Can there be multiple principal nth roots?

No, there can only be one principal nth root for a given complex number. This is because the principal nth root is defined as the first root in polar form, and there can only be one first root. However, other nth roots may exist and can be found using different methods, such as De Moivre's formula.

4. How is the principal nth root calculated?

The principal nth root can be calculated by converting the complex number to polar form and then using the formula: r^(1/n)(cos(θ/n) + i*sin(θ/n)) where r is the magnitude of the complex number and θ is the argument of the complex number. The result will be the principal nth root of the complex number.

5. Why is finding the principal nth root important?

Finding the principal nth root is important because it allows us to simplify complex numbers and perform operations on them more easily. It also helps us to visualize complex numbers on the complex plane and understand their properties better. In addition, the principal nth root is used in a variety of mathematical and scientific applications, such as in solving equations and modeling physical phenomena.