Why there is no unit for memory recognised by SI

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of a defined unit for memory elements in the International System of Units (SI). The speaker notes that there are units such as kilobytes, megabytes, and gigabytes commonly used in electronic systems, but these are not recognized as fundamental or derived units by the SI. The conversation also touches on the confusion between kilobytes (8000 bits) and kibibytes (8192 bytes) and the need for proper understanding of these units in the technology industry. It is mentioned that the SI does not cover all units, such as pH, but there are other organizations that govern these units. The conversation concludes with a mention of the kibihertz and the ongoing review
Abhishek kumar
As we all know that there is 7 fundamental units and rest can be delivered for physical Quantities.why there is no any define unit for memory element.Now these days all around us we can see electronic systems which have memory element and memory element store data to measures data we have byte,bit,kilobytes,megabytes...
Then why these are not recognised by the International system of units as fundamental or derived unit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fundamental to what ? Derived from what ?
There's no physics in it. Just like in something like 'value' with SI unit grams of gold ?

BvU said:
Fundamental to what ? Derived from what ?
There's no physics in it. Just like in something like 'value' with SI unit grams of gold ?
I mean to say that there should be unit for memory like KB,MB,GB

The unit would be the b, the bit. And that is a counter, not a dimension.

All that comes from SI is the multiplier. I don't know the capital K, only the lower case k for kilo (1000) :rolleyes:

I sure wish folks would ever come to understand the difference between kB and kb (8192 and 1024 bytes, respectively). Especially the commercial folks and the journalists...

BvU said:
I sure wish folks would ever come to understand the difference between kB and kb (8192 and 1024 bytes, respectively). Especially the commercial folks and the journalists...

If you're going to be pedantic, you should really also note that kB and kb are 8000 and 1000 bytes, respectively, and the values you mention (8192 and 1024) are kiB and kib.

KB=1024bytes=8192bits

Abhishek kumar said:
I mean to say that there should be unit for memory like KB,MB,GB

There are, but these are governed by different standards. The SI is a system for physical measurements (governed by BIPM); units used in e.g. telecom are governed by standards published by other organizations (e.g. ETSI or ANSI) and these presumably include definitions for units like GB

Note that there are LOTS of commonly used units that are not part of the SI; e.g. the definition of pH is not (directly) covered by the SI but is published by other organizations (presumably IUPAC or similar)

Likes I like Serena and Abhishek kumar
Nope, that's the kiB. Kilo is an SI prefix, and means 1000.

Likes Abhishek kumar
cjl said:
May be you are correct but as i studied
in electronics we calcute in form of 2^10.

Abhishek kumar said:
See kibibyte.

Likes collinsmark, I like Serena and Abhishek kumar
Oh my. :rolleyes:

BvU said:
The unit would be the b, the bit. And that is a counter, not a dimension.

All that comes from SI is the multiplier. I don't know the capital K, only the lower case k for kilo (1000) :rolleyes:

kB is kilobyte, which is (usually) 8000 bits, and not 8192 bytes.
And kb is kilobit, which is 1000 bits, and not 1024 bytes.

cjl said:
If you're going to be pedantic, you should really also note that kB and kb are 8000 and 1000 bytes, respectively, and the values you mention (8192 and 1024) are kiB and kib.

That should be KiB respectively Kib.

cjl said:

KiB, not kiB.

Abhishek kumar said:

That may have once been true, in the era of hands and thumbs and pounds.
But no more.
It has been standardized.
k is really kilo for 1000. And M is really mega for 1000000. We do not obscure powers of 2 any more without using a proper and dedicated prefix for it (Ki respectively Mi).
Note that disk sizes and bit transfer rates have never been in powers of 2, although many people thought they were. That made for a nice sales pitch where those seemed larger than they actually were.
It's only memory that was in powers of 2.

Last edited:
Likes Abhishek kumar
I like Serena said:
Oh my. :rolleyes:
kB is kilobyte, which is (usually) 8000 bits, and not 8192 bytes.
And kb is kilobit, which is 1000 bits, and not 1024 bytes.
That should be KiB respectively Kib.
KiB, not kiB.
That may have once been true, in the era of hands and thumbs and pounds.
But no more.
It has been standardized.
k is really kilo for 1000. And M is really mega for 1000000. We do not do obscure powers of 2 any more without using a proper and dedicated prefix for it (Ki respectively Mi).
Note that disk sizes and bit transfer rates have never been in powers of 2, although many people thought they were. That made for a nice sales pitch where those seemed larger than they actually were.
It's only memory that was in powers of 2.
Binary bytes are obsolete now for memory unit?

I like Serena said:
It has been standardized
Any references up to PF standards ?

Abhishek kumar said:

One byte is defined by IEC/80000-13 as 8 bits.

BvU said:
Any references up to PF standards ?

The unit was established by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) in 1998,[2] has been accepted for use by all major standards organizations, and is part of the International System of Quantities.[3]

[2] International Electrotechnical Commission (January 1999), IEC 60027-2 Amendment 2: Letter symbols to be used in electrical technology - Part 2: Telecommunications and electronics
[3] "IEC 80000-13:2008". International Organization for Standardization. Retrieved 2013-07-21.
And I've just noticed that it's now also in the joint ISO/IEC 80000 standard.

Last edited:
BvU said:
Thanks. Must have overlooked it in 50 years of working with computers :wink:
Wonder if the kibihertz will last ...

And the Wiki lemma
(Link says the thing is under review since 2009 ?)
Indeed.
Just checked, and found for starters here, that the first item ISO 80000-1 is listed as having status Published since 2009.
Looks as if that status column is severely outdated.
Ah well, at least that is something I or anyone else can fix. ;)
Just did, and found that the last one, Telebiometrics related to human physiology, was actually withdrawn.
All the others were published in the year listed.

Likes Abhishek kumar and BvU
Oh wait. Apparently we've misinterpreted the status 'under review', which was correct after all.
That's actually a status that comes after 'published', and just means that after 5 years or so a standard is put under review to be revised. The first one has been under review since 2013.
So I've reverted my changes and just updated the Telebiometrics standard to say 'withdrawn'. Its status was empty before.

Abhishek kumar said:
Depends on what you are buying.

If you buy a 500GB magnetic hard drive, you have bought 500 billion bytes.
If you buy a 256GB SSD, you have bought 256*2^30 bytes.

Marketing doesn't care about your semantics, nor do they care what you studied. They use words colloquially. How much food did you eat today? 2000 calories? Did you mean kilocalories?

newjerseyrunner said:
Depends on what you are buying.

If you buy a 500GB magnetic hard drive, you have bought 500 billion bytes.
If you buy a 256GB SSD, you have bought 256*2^30 bytes.

Marketing doesn't care about your semantics, nor do they care what you studied. They use words colloquially. How much food did you eat today? 2000 calories? Did you mean kilocalories?
Heh. Regulations are more and more strict so that marketeers are not allowed to actually lie to gain profit.

And indeed calories do have a long standing history that they are actually kilocalories.
So I've just checked a food wrapping (Netherlands), and guess what, it does say kcal. After all, saying calories would be lying even though there is a history for it that might allow it. So now I'm wondering if we still have commercials or some such that promote a (low) specific number of calories... maybe if it's in casual language, but otherwise...

Selling a 512 GB magnetic hard drive as 512 GiB would be lying, so that will be disallowed.
To be honest, it's actually in their interest to sell a 512 GiB SSD as is, since that implies it is bigger than the 512 GB magnetic hard drive (and faster).
Then again, I expect them to sell 512 mb SSD's. ;/
I'd only want one if it had quantum bits.

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
And indeed calories do have a long standing history that they are actually kilocalories.
So I've just checked a food wrapping (Netherlands), and guess what, it does say kcal. After all, saying calories would be lying even though there is a history for it that might allow it. So now I'm wondering if we still have commercials or some such that promote a (low) specific number of calories... maybe if it's in casual language, but otherwise...
Cereal, yogurt, sports drinks... all advertise how lean they are with calories. I've literally never heard the word kilo-calorie on tv.

iPhones are advertised as 64 gigabytes. They may use the correct capitalization on the box, but spoken advertisements absolutely say "gigabyte" not "gibibyte."

seagate always do the opposite, they say gigabyte and mean gigabyte: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/172191en

newjerseyrunner said:
Cereal, yogurt, sports drinks... all advertise how lean they are with calories. I've literally never heard the word kilo-calorie on tv.

'Lean on calories' is correct, whether they be calories or kilocalories.
Saying they have less than 10 calories, when they mean less than 10 kilocalories, would be wrong.

newjerseyrunner said:
iPhones are advertised as 64 gigabytes. They may use the correct capitalization on the box, but spoken advertisements absolutely say "gigabyte" not "gibibyte."
'Spoken on TV' presumably counts as casual, which may allow it, and which may depend on which country we live in.
Showing it on the box would be more serious. I don't think they can get away with it that they didn't know any better.

newjerseyrunner said:
seagate always do the opposite, they say gigabyte and mean gigabyte: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/172191en
So Seagate sells a hard drive as 500 GB (real giga bytes), which Windows reports as 465 GB (really gibibytes).
Seagate does here what legislation requires, and what actually looks good in marketing, although the fact that they have to explain the difference comes back to bite them.
And Windows is off here with its unit. Is that before or after the standardization?
Still, it makes sense for an operating system to report disk space in GiB.
That's because the OS tends to map the locations on hard disk space to memory, which requires powers of 2. But that does not apply to a hardware manufacturer.
Anyway, at least the Mac reports the space properly.

Last edited:
Likes newjerseyrunner
I like Serena said:
'Lean on calories' is correct, whether they be calories or kilocalories.
Saying they have less than 10 calories, when they mean less than 10 kilocalories, would be wrong.
It’s not wrong, it’s just colloquial. And they do specific amounts in calories. Miller 64 has 64 calories, Pepsi One has one calorie, 5 hour energy has “under four calories.” All Of which mean kilocalories.

I think computers are going through the same colloquialism. In fact, I’m casual conversation who even says gigabytes or gibibytes? It’s just plain “gigs.”

newjerseyrunner said:
That's pretty standard in storage - even SSDs use the same convention at this point. For example, note that Samsung's 1TB SSD is shown as 1000GB, not 1024:
https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...ives/ssd-850-evo-msata-1tb-mz-m5e1t0bw/#specs

In general, I'd assume that storage is using base 10, but memory (RAM) is using base 2, unless otherwise specified.

1. Why is there no unit for memory recognised by SI?

The SI (International System of Units) is a globally accepted system for measuring physical quantities. It was established in 1960 and is constantly updated to reflect advancements in science and technology. However, the concept of memory as a unit of measurement does not fall under the category of physical quantities that the SI system aims to measure.

2. What is the reason behind not having a unit for memory in the SI system?

The SI system is based on seven base units, such as length, mass, time, and temperature. These base units can be used to derive other units for different physical quantities. Memory is not a physical quantity that can be measured in terms of these base units, and therefore, is not recognized by the SI system.

3. How is memory measured without a unit in the SI system?

Memory is measured in terms of binary digits (bits) or bytes, which are not recognized units in the SI system. However, these units are commonly used in computing and technology to measure storage capacity. For example, a kilobyte (KB) is equal to 1000 bytes, and a megabyte (MB) is equal to 1000 kilobytes.

4. Is there a need for a unit for memory in the SI system?

The SI system is constantly updated to include new units that can accurately measure physical quantities. While memory is an important concept in computing and technology, it is not considered a physical quantity and does not need to be included in the SI system.

5. Are there any standards for measuring memory in the scientific community?

While the SI system does not include a unit for memory, the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) has established a standard unit for measuring data storage called the kibibyte (KiB). However, this unit is not widely used and is not recognized by the SI system or the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM).