Why time in formula accelarion has exponent two

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a dimensional equation for force, which is written as [F]=[ma], where m represents mass and a represents acceleration with units of [L/T²]. The resulting formula is [F]=M*(L/T²)*L⁰. The question is asked why time (T) has an exponent of two in the formula for acceleration. It is explained that acceleration is a velocity ([L]/[T]) divided by time [T], resulting in [L]/[T²]. The conversation also clarifies that [L][T^-2] and 1/[T^2] are equivalent. The final conclusion is that the correct dimensional equation for force is [F]=[M][L][
edephysic
hello folks,

I am learning about how create a equation dimensional to formula Force (m*a).
I know this formula written this way:
[F]=[ma]
where:
m=mass
a=acceleration -> L/T²

The result is [F] = M * (L/T²) * L⁰
My result it's right?

Why T, relative time, has exponent two in formula acceleration?

Sorry about my English, I am learning this language :)
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
edephysic said:
Why T, relative time, has exponent two in formula acceleration?
Recall that acceleration is a velocity ([L]/[T]) divided by time [T]. ([L]/[T])/[T] = [L]/[T2]

I think I understood.
It's the same: [L][T^-2]?

The formula referent equation dimensional it's right?
thanks

[UPDATE]
Therefore:
the formula relative equation dimensional is: [F] = [M][L][T^-2]?
I understood, the exponent two it is achieved through rule potentiation.

Last edited:
to expand a bit on what Doc Al said, look at it this way:

Velocity is rate per unit of time, or for example, distance per second.

Acceleration is THAT per second and since "THAT" is "distance per second" you have "(distance per second) per second" and we write that as (D/T)/T, or D/T2

edephysic said:
I think I understood.
It's the same: [L][T^-2]?
Yes. 1/[T^2] = [T^(-2)]

edephysic said:
Therefore:
the formula relative equation dimensional is: [F] = [M][L][T^-2]?
Good.

Likes edephysic

1. Why does time in the formula for acceleration have an exponent of two?

The exponent of two in the formula for acceleration, a = (vf - vi)/t, is due to the fact that acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity changes over time. Since velocity is a measure of both speed and direction, and both speed and direction can change over time, the time component must be squared in order for the formula to accurately represent the change in velocity.

2. How does the exponent of two affect the calculation of acceleration?

The exponent of two in the formula for acceleration means that the change in velocity over time has a squared relationship with acceleration. This means that even a small change in time can result in a significant change in acceleration, and vice versa. It also means that acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the change in velocity over time.

3. Can the exponent of two change in the formula for acceleration?

No, the exponent of two in the formula for acceleration is a fundamental part of the equation and cannot be changed. Any attempt to alter the exponent would result in an inaccurate representation of acceleration.

4. How does the exponent of two relate to the concept of acceleration due to gravity?

The exponent of two in the formula for acceleration is also present in the formula for acceleration due to gravity, a = g = 9.8 m/s^2. This is because acceleration due to gravity is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity changes over time when it is affected by the force of gravity. The squared relationship between acceleration and time in the formula reflects the fact that an object's velocity due to gravity increases exponentially as it falls towards the ground.

5. Can the exponent of two be applied to other formulas in physics?

Yes, the exponent of two is a common occurrence in many formulas in physics, particularly those that involve motion and change over time. For example, the formula for kinetic energy, KE = 1/2mv^2, also has an exponent of two, reflecting the squared relationship between an object's mass, velocity, and kinetic energy. Additionally, the formula for force, F = ma, also has an exponent of two, as force is directly proportional to the squared acceleration of an object.