Why Time Response Characteristics Derived from Zero State Equation

In summary, the Time Response Characteristic expressions are derived from zero state equations because they provide a solution to a differential equation with zero initial conditions and non-zero inputs, which is the case for step inputs. It is not customary to derive general analytic characteristic expressions from zero input equations or the total solution because they assume zero inputs and non-zero initial conditions. Impulse input functions can be considered as initial conditions since they effectively change the initial conditions. Additionally, the characteristic expressions may be different for arbitrary inputs and non-zero initial conditions. This is because the system stability and bounded inputs are taken into account when deriving Time Response Characteristics, and the expressions may vary depending on the type of inputs and initial conditions.
ltkach2015
QUESTION:

1) Why are Time Response Characteristic's Expressions derived from only from Zero State Equations?
NOTE: Nise Control Systems Engineering 6ed uses step inputs to derive Time Response Characteristics for 1st
and 2nd order ordinary differential equations.
-What would the characteristic expressions be for arbitrary inputs?

2) Why is it not customary to derive general analytic characteristic expressions from Zero Input Equations?
-Would the characteristic expressions be different?

3) Why is it not customary to derive general analytic general analytic characteristic expressions from the Total Solution?
-Would the characteristic expressions be different due to arbitrary inputs and now the inclusion of non-zero
initial conditions?

4) Can Impulse Input Functions be considered as initial conditions?

ASSUMPTIONS:
-Time Response Characteristics. e.g.: settling time, rise time, percent overshoot, peak time
-All Time Response Characteristics are derived using a step input
-Zero State Equation is the solution to a differential equation with zero initial conditions and non-zero inputs
-Zero Input Equation is the solution to a differential equation with zero inputs and non-zero initial conditions(SYSTEM) STABILITY & BOUNDED INPUTS:
-bounded inputs/forcing functions (i.e. no unbounded inputs, but can have harmonic, periodic, and constant input functions)
-aperiodic inputs such as ramp, parabola, or impulses are not considered, except of course the constant (step)
-system is stable (i.e. naturally decays to zero for infinite time)
-Not considering marginally stable systems: oscillatory nor constant. Therefore our inputs when operating at the system's natural frequency will not cause an unbounded total solution.
SOURCES:
-Nise Control Systems Engineering 6ed

MY ANSWERS:
1) Yes. I think the typical characteristic expressions would be different for arbitrary inputs.
If inputs were a constant like a step then I think that it would result in the typical characteristic expressions.
2) Yes. I think the typical characteristic expressions would be different for non-zero initial conditions and zero inputs.
3) Yes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the characteristic expressions would be different due to arbitrary inputs and now the inclusion of non-zero initial conditions.4) Yes, Impulse input functions can be considered as initial conditions. The impulse input function is effectively a change in the initial conditions.

1. What is the zero state equation?

The zero state equation is a mathematical representation of a system's response to an input when there is no initial energy or previous input present in the system.

2. How is the time response derived from the zero state equation?

The time response is derived by solving the zero state equation, which is typically done using Laplace transforms. This results in a transfer function that describes the system's behavior over time.

3. Why is the zero state response important?

The zero state response allows us to understand how a system behaves when it is starting from a neutral state, without any initial energy or previous input. This can help predict and analyze the system's behavior over time.

4. What are the characteristics of a time response derived from the zero state equation?

The time response characteristics derived from the zero state equation include the steady-state response, transient response, settling time, and overshoot. These characteristics can help us understand the stability and performance of a system.

5. How can we use the time response characteristics derived from the zero state equation in real-world applications?

The time response characteristics derived from the zero state equation can be used to design and improve control systems in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and robotics. They can also be used to analyze and improve the performance of electronic circuits and communication systems.