Why use spread operator in this react program? What does it do?

In summary, the spread operator is a part of JavaScript ES6 and is used to spread an array of values or the properties of an object into a new array or object.
shivajikobardan
TL;DR Summary
spread operator in react js.
Code for this is here:

https://codesandbox.io/s/floral-frog-7zfon3

I got the general idea of program flow in this case.

First user clicks a button, then function gets called, that function in turn updates the state from initial [] state to [{id:1,value:0.12232}]. Now the array map accesses the value and displays in a list.

But I don't understand why did we use spread operator there. If I remove spread operator, I can see the difference, but I'm not understanding what spread operator is doing here enough to apply the concept of spread operator in other projects.

I have learnt about spread operator from MDN docs already.

Technology news on Phys.org
The spread operator is actually a part of javascript ES6 not react.js

However, the spread operator in React.js is used to spread an array of values or the properties of an object into a new array or object. It is represented by three dots (...).

Here is an example of how the spread operator can be used in React.js to create a new array that combines two existing arrays:

JavaScript:
const array1 = [1, 2, 3];
const array2 = [4, 5, 6];

const combinedArray = [...array1, ...array2];
// combinedArray is now [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]

The spread operator can also be used to spread the properties of an object into a new object:

JavaScript:
const obj1 = { a: 1, b: 2 };
const obj2 = { c: 3, d: 4 };

const combinedObject = { ...obj1, ...obj2 };
// combinedObject is now { a: 1, b: 2, c: 3, d: 4 }

The spread operator is a useful tool for creating new arrays or objects that are based on existing ones, without modifying the original arrays or objects. It is often used in React.js to pass props from a parent component to a child component or to make a shallow copy of an object or array.

References:

MENTOR Note: I got most of this answer by asking ChatGPT about the spread operator for react.js and asking it to cite references

My citation reference is::

thank you

1. What is the spread operator in React?

The spread operator, denoted by three consecutive dots (...), is a syntax in React that allows an iterable to be expanded into individual elements. It is commonly used with arrays and objects to manipulate and combine their elements.

2. Why use the spread operator in a React program?

The spread operator is useful in React because it enables us to easily clone or merge arrays and objects. It also simplifies the process of passing props to child components, as it allows us to pass an entire object as props instead of individual properties.

3. How does the spread operator manipulate arrays in React?

When used with arrays, the spread operator creates a new array and copies the elements from the original array into the new one. This allows us to add or remove elements from the new array without modifying the original one.

4. Can the spread operator be used with objects in React?

Yes, the spread operator can also be used with objects in React. When used with objects, it creates a new object and copies the properties from the original object into the new one. This allows us to add or overwrite properties in the new object without changing the original one.

5. Are there any limitations to using the spread operator in React?

One limitation of the spread operator in React is that it only performs a shallow copy. This means that if the array or object contains nested arrays or objects, those will still be copied by reference. To avoid this, we can use other methods like Object.assign() for objects or Array.concat() for arrays.