Why Water Won't Flow From Faucet with 2000 Pa Pressure?

In summary: I think you're thinking of atmospheric pressure, which is about 100 kPa.Agree there is a small amount of...something that can dissolve gas and cavitate...but the pressure required is quite high.
Callmelucky
Homework Statement
Can you please explain to me why is this the case? Thank you.
Relevant Equations
Hidrostatic pressure = gravitational constant * density * height
Picture below

can someone please explain me why will the water come out of faucet with the pressure of 2000 Pa?

I was expecting the answer to be "water will not come out thrugh the faucet because the pressure from the barrel is not strong enough to overcome the height of the pipe" since pressure depends only on height, gravitational constant and density of liquid, which is in this case water.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20230202_211035_edit_875460878871101.jpg
    IMG_20230202_211035_edit_875460878871101.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Callmelucky said:
Homework Statement:: Can you please explain to me why is this the case? Thank you.
Relevant Equations:: Hidrostatic pressure = gravitational constant * density * height

Picture below

can someone please explain me why will the water come out of faucet with the pressure of 2000 Pa?

I was expecting the answer to be "water will not come out thrugh the faucet because the pressure from the barrel is not strong enough to overcome the height of the pipe" since pressure depends only on height, gravitational constant and density of liquid, which is in this case water.

Thank you.
As long as the pipe is full, the faucet is below the height of the water it will drain until the tank water drops by 20cm.

If the pipe is empty it’s not going to make it over the hump unless the tank is pressurized above atmospheric pressure.

erobz said:
As long as the pipe is full, the faucet is below the height of the water it will drain until the tank water drops by 20cm.

If the pipe is empty it’s not going to make it over the hump unless the tank is pressurized above atmospheric pressure.
oohhh yeah, I didn't realise that pipe was full.
thank you.

Likes erobz
In the absence of atmospheric pressure, the water will come out of the faucet with initial pressure of 5000 Pa*. The water in the tank side of the pipe will stay where it is if the tank is sealed, or run back into the tank (which may overflow) until the pipe level matches the tank level.
This will happen so long as the atmospheric pressure is less than 3000 Pa, even if the pipe is initially filled (presumably by filling with pressurised water through the faucet.) Once atmospheric P exceeds 3 kPa, then siphonic action works.

*This is of course 0 Pa atmospheric pressure plus 5 kPa hydraulic.
If that sounds paradoxically larger than 2 kPa, the 2 kPa you give is relative to atmospheric pressure, so the absolute pressure at the faucet is 102 kPa - as it needs to be to push its way out against the surrounding 100 kPa air.

I guess I really didn't think into it too much, but in the initial state shown the tank must be sealed, and under greater than atmospheric pressure at the upper surface. Given a sealed tank I don't think the siphon action could work. I don't believe much of anything would come out of that faucet for any extended period of time. How much that would come out would be dependent on how much the barrel expanded from its original volume given a static head of 30 cm (assuming the water itself is virtually incompressible). I doubt that is any significant volume.

Last edited:
Quite so. Just considering the possibilities.
Once I talked about zero air pressure, the water won't stay in the top of the tube, unless the faucet is shut and tank sealed. So after you've somehow forced the water in and closed all exits, you start the expt by opening one or both ends.

My main idea was that water can't support tension. People often talk as if the lower end of a siphon pulls water down, but it really just allows the air pressure on the higher level to push the water up over the hill, by pushing down against the air pressure on the lower level. No air pressure = no siphon.

Likes erobz
Merlin3189 said:
My main idea was that water can't support tension. People often talk as if the lower end of a siphon pulls water down, but it really just allows the air pressure on the higher level to push the water up over the hill, by pushing down against the air pressure on the lower level. No air pressure = no siphon.
Water (partially via surface tension) can certainly "suck" This is how a closed tube manometer works. It is both incompressible and, in a confining geometry, inextensible. So I disagree with this assertion. But it will dissolve gas and cavitate at a low enough pressure.

Likes erobz
hutchphd said:
Water (partially via surface tension) can certainly "suck" This is how a closed tube manometer works. It is both incompressible and, in a confining geometry, inextensible. So I disagree with this assertion. But it will dissolve gas and cavitate at a low enough pressure.
Agree there is a small amount of cohesion, but I'd have thought negligible in the context of water tank and pipes. (But I'll be interested to know how much: I haven't attempted a calculation myself. )

If a closed tube manometer is what I think, then I disagree. The gas pressure from the open end or experimental end, pushes the liquid up into the evacuated sealed tube. No external pressure, no liquid rise.

A mercury barometer used to be made with a sealed tube filled with Hg. When inverted into a pool of Hg, the liquid would completely empty out if there were no air pressure pushing it up the tube. It doesn't matter how long the tube is and how much Hg is in to start with, the Hg only rises as far as the air pressure will push it.

Cavitation is interesting. The water is under some pressure from its own weight, again pushing the liquid together, though it obviously does cohere to some degree. Do bubbles that form from dissolved gases count as cavitation? Do they redissolve quickly as pressure increases? I think cavitation is about the formation of water vapour bubbles when the surface pressure is below the svp, and the significance is the sudden collapse as the pressure rises again - but I'm definitely not particularly informed on this topic.

In an open top tank a siphon is created by priming the line, then bringing the end of the line below the tank water surface. There is no pressure difference between the tank water surface and the discharge of the line, they are both at atmospheric.

Merlin3189 said:
Do bubbles that form from dissolved gases count as cavitation?
Not usually considered as cavitation. The cavitation is essentially caused by water being at a low enough pressure locally (usually because of turbulent flow) that the water boils making a cavity.
For our problem: The vapor pressure of water at 100C is 14.7psi. At 20C the water vapor pressure is 0.2psi. So if you suck on it harder than -14.5psi gauge pressure at room temperature it will boil . That cavitation is what limits a lift pump to 28 ft. But the efficacy of the siphon is from this suction (so long as you do not get to the vapor pressure of the liquid). The useful suction is restricted by vapor pressure.

erobz said:
In an open top tank ... There is no pressure difference between the tank water surface and the discharge of the line, they are both at atmospheric.
The air pressures may be the same, but presumably the liquid pressures differ, else why would the water come out?
Thanks for the comment on water svp.
My conclusion from that is, the siphon will "break" when the pressure at the top of the link is 0.2 psi - so when the water height gives hydraulic pressure 0.2 psi less than atmospheric (about 1.4% less.) So you'd be better off with a liquid that had zero, or lowest, svp and no dissolved gases. They serve merely to push back against atmospheric pressure pushing the liquid upwards.
Or perhaps not, if they lower the density of the liquid? One way of pumping water over a barrier is to blow air bubbles into the ascending pipe, so that the water level in that pipe is higher than in the source, and simply let it overflow the barrier. There may be a kinetic element at work here, but this tries to improve on the static mechanism.
airliftpump.png
IMO it still comes down to the more dense liquid pushing the less dense mixture, rather than anything sucking.
But I think I'm digressing, as usual on PF, so maybe we better leave it there?

Last edited:
1675431484058.png

IMO:

The entire contents of the dashed box are under vacuum if flow is established with some velocity ##v##.

Start by applying the "Energy Equation" between positions 1 and 2 (under the assumption of steady flow - not time varying). 1 is the free water surface, and 2 is located inside the pipe at the free water surface. The tank is assumed to larger that the pipe. It doesn't have to be, but it makes the result more obvious.

$$ \frac{P_1}{\gamma} + z_1 + \frac{v_1^2}{2g} = \frac{P_2}{\gamma} + z_2 + \frac{v_2^2}{2g} + \sum_{1 \to 2} k \frac{v_i^2}{2g} $$

##P_1## is 0 gage

##1## is the elevation datum ##z_1 = z_2 = 0 \rm{elev.}##

The tank is assumed large as such ##v_1 \approx 0##

The last term is a generic head loss term for any real (viscous flow) it is always positive for any established flow in the system.

By continuity (constant pipe diameter) ##v_2 = v_i = v##

We find that the pressure inside the pipe at ##2## is given by:

$$ \boxed{ \frac{P_2}{\gamma} = - \left( \frac{v^2}{2g} + \sum_{1 \to 2} k \frac{v^2}{2g} \right) }$$

Thus, the pressure at ##2## is necessarily at vacuum (and is it atmospheric just below it).

We can do the same analysis for ##2 \to 3##:

$$ \boxed{ \frac{P_3}{\gamma} = \frac{P_2}{\gamma} - \left( z_3 + \sum_{2 \to 3} k \frac{v^2}{2g} \right) } $$

It should be apparent that ##P_3## is the peak vacuum pressure in the system. Also, ##3## has a limit, as the pipe rises higher and higher, the pressure ##P_3## is approaching the vaporization pressure of the liquid. Cavitation will occur at some maximum elevation for the siphon at ##z_3## and the flow will be interrupted as the bubbles expand.

The vacuum is created by the adhesion @hutchphd is pointing out. You are priming the siphon with vacuum conditions, then water must "fall out" pulling on the water next to it to maintain those vacuum conditions once "manual suction" is removed.

Merlin3189 said:
The air pressures may be the same, but presumably the liquid pressures differ, else why would the water come out?
The pressure at the surface ##1## and the fluid jet are the same almost immediately after the jet exits the pipe. The pressure change propagates at the speed of sound in the fluid.

Last edited:
erobz said:
then water must "fall out" pulling on the water next to it to maintain those vacuum conditions once "manual suction" is removed.
And of course the static absolute pressure at the top elbow of box (3) in drawing cannot go below the 0.2psi vapor pressure of water. This limits the max height z of the elbow to ~28ft for water at room temperature.

Likes erobz
hutchphd said:
And of course the static absolute pressure at the top elbow of box (3) in drawing cannot go below the 0.2psi vapor pressure of water. This limits the max height z of the elbow to ~28ft for water at room temperature.

Yeah, I was implying that (without verified calculation) with this statement:

erobz said:
It should be apparent that P3 is the peak vacuum pressure in the system. Also, 3 has a limit, as the pipe rises higher and higher, the pressure P3 is approaching the vaporization pressure of the liquid. Cavitation will occur at some maximum elevation for the siphon at z3 and the flow will be interrupted as the bubbles expand.

using those equations its some negative gage pressure...but talking absolute pressures, sure.

Likes hutchphd
erobz said:
.... its some negative gage pressure...but talking absolute pressures, sure.
Perhaps this is the key. Negative gauge pressure stays greater (less negative) than -1 bar (negative 1 atmosphere pressure.)
"... P3 is the PEAK vacuum pressure ..." confused me, but I guess you meant the minimum pressure: to me, pressure is the opposite of vacuum. I'm not accustomed to negative pressures, though I can see it may be useful to use that idea sometimes.
P3 is always less than P1 and P2, so the water is always being pushed by higher pressure towards a lower pressure.

If we got rid of the water - by using a liquid with zero SVP (??) or separating it from the vacuum with a piston say - it wouldn't matter how far negative you sucked the pipe, you could never suck up the piston beyond the height it was pushed by atmospheric pressure. OTOH if the pipe has a vacuum in it and the water has risen to the appropriate height for the atmospheric pressure, then it can always be pushed higher by increasing atmospheric pressure. And that will be true whether or not the faucet is open to the same higher atmospheric pressure.

Merlin3189 said:
Perhaps this is the key. Negative gauge pressure stays greater (less negative) than -1 bar (negative 1 atmosphere pressure.)
"... P3 is the PEAK vacuum pressure ..." confused me, but I guess you meant the minimum pressure: to me, pressure is the opposite of vacuum. I'm not accustomed to negative pressures, though I can see it may be useful to use that idea sometimes.
P3 is always less than P1 and P2, so the water is always being pushed by higher pressure towards a lower pressure.
Fluids Mechanics in the engineering discipline typically works with gage pressures.

Yes, I meant point ##3## would have the highest vacuum pressure i.e. maximal negative gage pressure or minimal absolute pressure in the system.

1. Why is there no water flowing from my faucet even though the water pressure is at 2000 Pa?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that there is a blockage in the pipes, preventing the water from flowing. Another possibility is that there is a problem with the faucet itself, such as a faulty valve or a clogged aerator. It is also possible that there is an issue with the water supply, such as a water main break or a shut-off valve being closed.

2. Can high water pressure cause water to stop flowing from a faucet?

Yes, high water pressure can actually cause the water to stop flowing from a faucet. This is because the pressure can create a vacuum, preventing the water from being able to flow through the pipes. In some cases, this can also cause damage to the pipes or fixtures.

3. How can I fix a faucet that won't flow with 2000 Pa pressure?

The first step is to check for any obvious blockages in the pipes or the faucet itself. If there is a blockage, it can be removed using a plunger or a plumbing snake. If there are no blockages, the issue may be with the faucet's valve or aerator, which may need to be cleaned or replaced. If none of these solutions work, it may be necessary to call a plumber for further assistance.

4. Is 2000 Pa water pressure considered high?

Yes, 2000 Pa is considered high water pressure. The average water pressure in a home is around 50-70 Pa, so 2000 Pa is significantly higher. High water pressure can cause damage to pipes, fixtures, and appliances, and should be addressed by a professional if it is consistently above 80 Pa.

5. Can low water pressure cause water to stop flowing from a faucet?

Yes, low water pressure can also cause water to stop flowing from a faucet. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a leak in the pipes, a clogged filter, or a problem with the water supply. It is important to address low water pressure as it can indicate a larger issue with the plumbing system.