Why we used capacitor in the fan ?

In summary, the question is about why capacitors are used in fans. The answer is that for ceiling fans and other fans that operate directly on AC mains, a single phase induction motor is used. The capacitor creates a phase difference between the starting and running windings, which results in a rotating magnetic field that drives the motor. This type of motor is also known as a CSCR motor.
7see
One of my classmate asked me a question that Why we used capacitor in the fan ? I gave her the answer but she said the answer in not fully appropriate ! Any one give me proper explanation of this question ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi 7see.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

Had you dismantled the fan, in order to discover the capacitor?

Is this a fan powered from the AC mains electricity?

What was the answer you gave?

7see said:
One of my classmate asked me a question that Why we used capacitor in the fan ? I gave her the answer but she said the answer in not fully appropriate ! Any one give me proper explanation of this question ?
Welcome to the PF.

Is this question for schoolwork? We need to hear your reply before we can be of help on this.

Please all other posters hold off replying until we get the OP's reply. Thanks. :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
aaronrodg said:
Still no reply.
One thing I have learned over the years here on PF is to not hold your breath with first time posters. Without knowing if the fan motor is AC or DC we cannot know which answer is appropriate.

It's been longer than a month since the OP was last seen on the forum and I believe it's unlikely that he will reply in this thread.
aaronrodg said:
I am also keen interested in knowing about this
For ceiling fans (and other fans that operate directly on ac mains), the motors used are single phase induction motors. Capacitor creates a phase difference between the currents in starting and running windings of the motor, hence giving rise to a rotating magnetic field in the rotor. The rotating magnetic field will drag the rotor along with it, just like in case of a 3-phase induction motor. This motor is also called a CSCR (Capacitor Start Capacitor Run) motor.

1. Why is a capacitor used in a fan?

A capacitor is used in a fan to improve its performance and efficiency. It helps to start the motor and provides a steady current flow, resulting in a smoother and more consistent operation of the fan.

2. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a fan?

The main purpose of a capacitor in a fan is to provide an extra boost of power to the fan motor when it starts. This allows the fan to overcome the initial resistance and start spinning smoothly.

3. How does a capacitor work in a fan?

A capacitor stores electrical energy in an electric field, which is then released to the fan motor when needed. This helps the fan to maintain a consistent speed and prevents it from drawing too much current from the power source.

4. Can a fan work without a capacitor?

Yes, a fan can technically work without a capacitor, but it may not function as efficiently. The fan may have a harder time starting and may not be able to maintain a consistent speed without a capacitor.

5. How do I know if the capacitor in my fan is faulty?

If your fan is not starting or is running at a slower speed than usual, it may be a sign that the capacitor is faulty. You can also use a multimeter to test the capacitor's capacitance, and if it is significantly lower than its rated value, it may need to be replaced.