Why wind turbines don't have their dynamos closer to ground?

In summary, the longer shaft would cost more and the easier maintenance and generator weight would not outweigh the weight disadvantage.
kevin_tee
bcwHMZB.png

Why don't the electric generator mount closer to the ground. The advantage I can think is that it is easy to maintain(no need to climb) and reduce weight(reduce tower cost), however the extended shaft will cost more. Does the longer shaft cost out weight the easier maintenance and generator weight? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why would the generator weigh less if you put it on the ground instead of up near the top?

You make a good point that the tower could weigh less with the generator at the bottom. My guess is that the frictional losses in the 90-degree gear drive must "outweigh" that weight advantage.

If the turbine were on a vertical axis (as some are), that wouldn't be a problem. I don't think that's as efficient though.

Drakkith said:
Why would the generator weigh less if you put it on the ground instead of up near the top?
I am referring to the weight that the tower need to support.

Likes Drakkith
Randy Beikmann said:
You make a good point that the tower could weigh less with the generator at the bottom. My guess is that the frictional losses in the 90-degree gear drive must "outweigh" that weight advantage.

If the turbine were on a vertical axis (as some are), that wouldn't be a problem. I don't think that's as efficient though.

I see, so there are quite a lot of friction there.

In most designs the actual generator is only one part of the total equipment needed at the tower head . A lot of the equipment would still have to be up there even if you moved the generator to the tower base .

Illustration

kevin_tee said:
I am referring to the weight that the tower need to support.

The weight of the generator and what this adds to the tower requirements is minor compared to the wind stresses the tower and turbine have to deal with. The weight of the drive shaft would probably be higher, plus the tower would also have to deal with the reaction torque.

Likes CWatters and Randy Beikmann
If a long vertical drive shaft was used with insufficient bearings in the tower, it would twirl.

A right-angle gearbox driving a vertical shaft would apply a torque to the tower head that would make the head harder to point into the wind.

The forces on the blades from the wind will probably be greater than the weight of the generator. Maybe more mass in the tower makes the tower more stable and less resonant at some wind speeds.

1. Why are the dynamos on wind turbines not located closer to the ground?

The main reason for this is safety. Placing the dynamos at a higher height reduces the risk of accidents or damage to the turbine. Additionally, it allows for more efficient use of wind power, as wind speeds are generally stronger at higher altitudes.

2. Would locating the dynamos closer to the ground make wind turbines more efficient?

No, it would not. As mentioned before, wind speeds are stronger at higher altitudes, making it more beneficial to have the dynamos located there. Furthermore, having the dynamos closer to the ground would increase the risk of damage to the turbine, which would decrease its efficiency in the long run.

3. Are there any disadvantages to having the dynamos located higher up on wind turbines?

One potential disadvantage is the cost of installation and maintenance. Placing the dynamos at a higher height can be more expensive, as it requires specialized equipment and expertise. Additionally, it may be more difficult to access and repair the dynamos if they are located at a higher height.

4. Are there any alternative locations for the dynamos on wind turbines?

Some wind turbine designs do have the dynamos located closer to the ground, such as vertical-axis turbines. However, these turbines are generally less efficient and have other limitations. For traditional horizontal-axis turbines, placing the dynamos at a higher height remains the most optimal choice.

5. Can the location of the dynamos on wind turbines be changed?

Yes, it is possible to change the location of the dynamos on wind turbines. However, this would require significant modifications to the turbine design and may not be feasible or cost-effective. The current location of the dynamos has been determined to be the most efficient and safe option for wind turbines.