Why Won't My Coilgun Charge? Troubleshooting Tips for Aspiring Physicists

In summary, a Grade 11 student is constructing a Coilgun and is having trouble charging the capacitors. He has tried different voltages and types of batteries, but none of them work. He has also tried not touching the two wires coming off of the coil, but that didn't work either. He is trying out different materials and gloves to try and prevent accidents. He is hoping someone can help him set up a Coilgun that will work with a 12V battery.
KevinMcGovern
Hello, I am a Grade 11 student and for a Physics project I am constructing a Coilgun. I've done quite a bit of research into actually building the Coilgun, but when it came time to charge it, it refuses to charge. I've used, 1.5V, 9V, a 12V Car Battery, and none of them will charge the capacitors. I have 20 330V 120uF Capacitors from disposable camera flash circuits, and they're all connected in parallel. I've also tried just hooking the battery directly to the coil, but it won't move the projectile, which is a ball bearing. I'm using 22-Gauge Copper Wire.

I've attached a picture of it set up outside. I could really use a solution because I'm at a loss as to why the current will not flow through any part of it.

EDIT: For the record, normally the two wires coming off of the coil aren't touching, I just decided to try everything that people said not to do to see if electricity was affecting it at all.

Attachments

• 20100423219.jpg
    20100423219.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm wondering if you didn't fry the circuit somewhere by using a car battery.
Did you incorporate proper resistors to keep this from happening?

I have 2 camera circuits. I tried them both with the 1.5V first, and eventually sacrificed one for science. It popped as soon as I connected the 12V, but I still have 1 good one.

I discovered that my wire does not conduct electricity at all. I have no idea why, but I tried different wires hooked up to a motor and it ran, but the wire I used for the capacitors and coil didn't. So I'm trying out household wire, because I have tons and it worked. Plus it's already insulated.

OK, sounds like your moving in the right direction with the materials you have available.
Keep us informed!

PS... while you doing all this please keep safety foremost in mind :)

Will do!

I wear Rubber Gloves anytime I'm doing anything with the capacitors. It's clumsy, but it works.

I just recoiled the tube with the new wire and hooked 1.5V and 9V batteries to it and it is creating an electromagnet, so now it's just a matter of resoldering all of the capacitors tomorrow. *sigh* I'll post the results.

hey is it possible if you can help me set up a coil gun

1. Why won't my coilgun charge at all?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, check to make sure that the battery is properly connected and has enough charge. If the battery is not the issue, then it could be a problem with the charging circuit or the coilgun's internal wiring. It is recommended to consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for further troubleshooting steps.

2. How do I know if my coilgun is charging?

Typically, there will be a light indicator or a display on the coilgun that shows when it is charging. If there is no visible indication, you can use a multimeter to check if there is any voltage coming from the charger. If there is no voltage, then the charger may be faulty.

3. Why does my coilgun take a long time to charge?

The charging time can depend on various factors such as the battery capacity, the charger's output, and the coilgun's internal resistance. If the battery is old or damaged, it may take longer to reach a full charge. Additionally, using a higher output charger can decrease the charging time.

4. Can I use a different charger to charge my coilgun?

It is recommended to use the charger that came with the coilgun to ensure safe and proper charging. Using a different charger with a higher or lower output can damage the battery or the coilgun itself. If you must use a different charger, make sure it has the same voltage and current output as the original charger.

5. What should I do if my coilgun won't hold a charge?

If the coilgun is not holding a charge, it could indicate a problem with the battery or the internal wiring. Try replacing the battery with a new one to see if that resolves the issue. If the problem persists, it is best to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.