Why would I have 240 on one lead into breaker panel?

• Thread starter ChrisZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lead
In summary, the conversation is about a person who changed their breaker box and is experiencing different voltage levels on the two leads from the pole. They are seeking advice on troubleshooting and solving the issue. The responder suggests seeking help from a licensed electrician.
ChrisZ
I changed my breaker box and when I connected the two leads from the pole one is coming in at 120 and the other at 240. I did not change anything between the pole and incoming lead. What could have happened here and how do I trouble shoot / resolve this? The voltage out of the meter on the pole outside the house has both leads at 110V. Any ideas on what may be the problem?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ChrisZ said:
I changed my breaker box and when I connected the two leads from the pole one is coming in at 120 and the other at 240. I did not change anything between the pole and incoming lead. What could have happened here and how do I trouble shoot / resolve this? The voltage out of the meter on the pole outside the house has both leads at 110V. Any ideas on what may be the problem?
Welcome to the PF.

First, any work like changing out your electrical panel would require permits and inspections from your local government agency. Hopefully you have such permits.

Next, that is work that a licensed electrician should be doing, not an amateur DIY'er. Please hire an electrician to help you with this work. Thread is closed.

Likes dlgoff

1. Why is my breaker panel showing a reading of 240 on one lead?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that your panel is connected to a 240-volt circuit, such as a large appliance like a dryer or stove. Another possibility is that there is a problem with the wiring, such as a loose connection or damaged wire.

2. Is it normal to have 240 volts on one lead in a breaker panel?

No, it is not normal. A typical residential breaker panel should have a reading of 120 volts on each lead. A reading of 240 volts on one lead indicates that there is an issue with your electrical system that needs to be addressed.

3. Could a faulty breaker cause a reading of 240 volts on one lead?

Yes, a faulty breaker can sometimes cause a reading of 240 volts on one lead. If a breaker is not functioning properly, it may not be able to properly regulate the voltage, resulting in an incorrect reading. It is important to have a qualified electrician check and replace any faulty breakers.

4. How can I fix a reading of 240 volts on one lead in my breaker panel?

The first step is to identify the source of the issue. If it is due to a large appliance drawing 240 volts, you may need to have a dedicated circuit installed for that appliance. If it is due to a wiring problem, a licensed electrician should be consulted to make the necessary repairs.

5. Can a reading of 240 volts on one lead be dangerous?

Yes, a reading of 240 volts on one lead can be dangerous. This high voltage can cause electric shocks, fires, and damage to appliances. It is important to address this issue promptly to ensure the safety of your home and occupants.