Why you should never talk to the police

• Thread starter SticksandStones
  • Start date
In summary, a law professor talks about why talking to the police can never help you, and suggests instead that you go to a library and watch the video. He also says that people are stupid and that the cop is right.
SticksandStones
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8167533318153586646&hl=en

A neat lecture from a law professor on why talking to the police can never help you. Very interesting, but I'll save my more detailed response until others have watched it.

What do you guys think of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That was a very interesting video.

I think the first guy talks way too fast.

NeoDevin said:
I think the first guy talks way too fast.

He does talk fast. But the content is good.

Cyrus said:
He does talk fast. But the content is good.

Agree completely.

If its not too long anybody mind summarizing it for me? (hangs head in shame of having dialup...lol)

binzing said:
If its not too long anybody mind summarizing it for me? (hangs head in shame of having dialup...lol)

It's a law professor who says how saying anything to the police can get you convicted of a crime you did not commit. Basically, keep your mouth shut no matter what. The police office talked after him agreed with everything he said. Go to a library with hi-speed and watch it.

Ah, thanks...

I just realized, this applies to PF as well. Man, nothing tee's me off more than having some BOZO misread what I wrote and start quoting me and putting words in my mouth and putting spin on what I said. It really makes me mad. Really mad.

It makes me mad because it shows a lack of ability to read.

The cop's last recorded words "I don't put innocent people in jail." Of course, you have to wonder how objective his definition of innocent is, but yeah, good policy in Alaska. It's become a police state in the last thirty years.

Cyrus said:
I just realized, this applies to PF as well. Man, nothing tee's me off more than having some BOZO misread what I wrote and start quoting me and putting words in my mouth and putting spin on what I said. It really makes me mad. Really mad.

Of course, if it happens often to a single person, they might start considering their ability to write.

Cyrus said:

So PFers are like bozo cops that make you really mad, now that's not very nice!

hehehe, <pokes cyrus with pointy stick and runs away> :tongue2:

:eek: so now every one needs to take a pet lawyer every where with them, and steer well clear of lobster.
And from what the cop said, EVERY ONE breaks the law some time when driving.

Heck, lobster buying motorists should be shot on sight.

Cyrus said:
I met this cute girl, and I'm trying to ask her out. Not sure what to do. I spent all night crying about it.

Oh really?

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/182/vaderkitty2lm2.jpg

Cyrus said:

And some day you'll work on your end of it to realize it's also a failure to communicate clearly.

Anyway, I agree with the video. Though, yes, my goodness, that law professor can talk fast! :bugeye: I'm glad I never had to be a student of his trying to take notes! I think he crammed a two hour lecture into 30 min. There were a few times I thought he was going to turn blue from lack of taking a breath.

The only thing I WISH one of them would have explained is, what exactly DO you say simply to indicate your decision to invoke your 5th amendment right that doesn't itself do anything to piss off the cops or make you seem disrespectful?

But, I laughed when the cop kept saying that people are stupid. My sister, who is a probation officer, says that ALL the TIME! The reason she gets those cases is they are such minor crimes that they qualify for probation rather than serving jail time, but she says most of them would have never even been arrested if they'd just kept their mouth shut when pulled over for things like traffic stops.

I also laughed when the first thing he started out asking the audience was, "Have you ever committed a crime?...Did any of you drive over 55 on the drive here?" :rofl: And from the reaction, someone in the audience answered after just hearing for 30 min not to admit anything to the cops. :rofl:

The cop is SO right about people not liking silence. This works with my students too. It's actually a very short amount of time that most people can sit still in silence without feeling compelled to say something, so all I need to do is ask the class a question and stop and look at them for less than a minute and someone finally blurts out an attempt at an answer just to end the silence. If I keep talking, trying to prompt them, I actually DON'T get answers from them so readily.

In the UK the right to silence, if exercised, can be used against you at a subsequent trial. Is it the same in the US?

This is stated in the caution given when arrested as
You have the right to remain silent, you don't have to say anything but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence.
In practice this means the judge can direct the jury to treat as suspicious your failure to answer questions when first arrested.

Moonbear said:
This works with my students too. It's actually a very short amount of time that most people can sit still in silence without feeling compelled to say something, so all I need to do is ask the class a question and stop and look at them for less than a minute and someone finally blurts out an attempt at an answer just to end the silence. If I keep talking, trying to prompt them, I actually DON'T get answers from them so readily.

Haha, but it's always me!

I hate it. One time I blurted something out that had nothing to do AT ALL with the question. It was a midterm review and the prof. was going to end it if no one participates. Everyone sat there. Everyone so scared of the prof. because he's known for making a few students cry during lecture. I was like... I don't care, I want a review. And so, naturally, I just said whatever. He not once put me down. I actually got into an argument with him once for 20 minutes during a lecture. The class was like... "Are you going to the next lecture? You argued for half the lecture last time." Haha, but it wasn't an argument. It was like misunderstanding and he was taking the time to make sure I got it even if I think I got it, and I was trying to get him to understand what I'm saying and so on and so on, so it kept bouncing back and forth... No that's that not what I'm talking about... What do you mean? Blah, blah, blah...

I wondered why he took the time to argue and I realized it was probably because I was actually one of the few attentive students. So really, I should be asking the other students... "Are you going to the next lecture? The prof. rather argue with me than teach you guys."

"Everything you say can and will be used AGAINST you."
It CANNOT be used to to help you.

Wow, I never thought of it that way.

Art said:
In the UK the right to silence, if exercised, can be used against you at a subsequent trial. Is it the same in the US?

This is stated in the caution given when arrested as In practice this means the judge can direct the jury to treat as suspicious your failure to answer questions when first arrested.

I don't think that it is standard but there are certain places and certain circumstances where refusal to cooperate with the police can result in harsher penalties. One of the guys in the DUI program I was going through did not like the manner in which he was being treated by the officer who stopped him and so told him that he would no longer speak to him, only another officer. That officer stated that he refused to take the breathalizer test. In California it is illegal to refuse to take a breathalizer test. If you do so you will be arrested and strapped down to have blood drawn at the station. Regardless of the result you will serve jail time, pay fines, and lose your license for a period of time.
edit: and of course one of the things that DAs always like to point out is that the defendant did not cooperate with authorities.

To the reast of the thread in general though, both the officer and the lawyer stated it is not hard for an officer to find a reason to cite or arrest you. If you piss an officer off for one reason or another they will find a reason. And not cooperating is a quick an easy way to arrest you. Maybe I have watched to much tv but I am quite sure that if the police believe you may be a suspect in a criminal investigation and refuse to cooperate they may take you into custody and hold you for a period of time for questioning. Then you had better have a lawyer or you will be there as long as they are legally able to hold you.

1. Why should I never talk to the police?

As a scientist, I have seen the importance of evidence and the dangers of providing false information. Talking to the police without a lawyer present can lead to unintentional mistakes or misunderstandings, which could potentially harm your case. It is always best to consult with a lawyer before speaking with the police.

2. What are the potential consequences of talking to the police without a lawyer?

Talking to the police without a lawyer can have serious consequences, such as unintentionally incriminating yourself, providing false information, or revealing information that can be used against you in court. These consequences can significantly impact the outcome of your case and may lead to legal repercussions.

3. What if I am innocent, why should I still not talk to the police?

Even if you are innocent, talking to the police without a lawyer can still be risky. Innocent people can unintentionally provide false or misleading information, which can be used against them in court. It is best to have a lawyer present to ensure that your rights are protected and that you are not pressured into saying anything that could harm your case.

4. Can't talking to the police help clear my name and prove my innocence?

While it may seem like talking to the police can help clear your name, it is not always the case. The police are trained to gather evidence, and they may use your statements to build a case against you. It is best to let your lawyer handle all communication with the police to ensure that your rights are protected and that you do not accidentally provide harmful information.

5. What should I do if the police want to question me?

If the police want to question you, it is important to remain calm and politely decline to answer any questions without a lawyer present. You have the right to remain silent and the right to have an attorney present during questioning. Contact a lawyer immediately to discuss your case and to ensure that your rights are protected.