Wigner function as average value of parity

In summary, there are two definitions of the Wigner function on space-time. The first involves a Fourier transform of a density operator, while the second involves the Weyl transformation and parity operator. The proof of their equivalence can be found in a paper using the Campbell identity. The second definition can be seen as a double sum of the first, and can be simplified using the property that <y| e^{i \pi a^\dagger a}|x> = \delta(y+x).
naima
Gold Member
I found two definitions of wigner function on space time. the first uses a Fourier transform of ##\rho (q+ y/2,q-y/2)##
the second uses the Weyl transformation and parity operator ## exp (i \pi \theta N)##
where N is the occupation number operator.
Could you give me a link which shows the equivalence of the definition?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
the first definition is
##w_\rho (q, p) = (2π\hbar)^{−1} \int <q − y/2|ρ|q + y/2> e^ {i \pi y/\hbar} dy## (read Ballentine)
the other is
##w_\rho (q+i p) = 2 Tr(\rho D(p+iq) e^{i \pi a^\dagger a} D(-q -ip)##
(read Man'ko page 8)
I cannot prove that it is the same thing.

I found the answer in this paper.

The proof needs the Campbell identity where the commutatot = constant.
[tex]Exp( i \frac{p_0 \hat {x}}{ \hbar}) Exp(i \frac{-x_0 \hat {p}}{ \hbar}) = Exp (i \frac{p_0 \hat x -x_0 \hat p + x_0 p_0/2 }{ \hbar} ) [/tex]
So
[tex]Exp( i \frac{p_0 \hat {x} - x_0 p_0/2}{ \hbar}) Exp(i \frac{-x_0 \hat {p}}{ \hbar}) = Exp (i \frac{p_0 \hat x -x_0 \hat p }{ \hbar} ) = D(\alpha] [/tex]

[tex] D(\alpha) = Exp( i \frac{p_0 \hat {x} - x_0 p_0/2}{ \hbar}) Exp( x_0 \partial_x)[/tex]
with
[tex] <x|D(\alpha)|\Psi> =
Exp( i \frac{p_0 x - x_0 p_0/2}{ \hbar}) \Psi(x+x_0)[/tex]

We have to compute
[tex] 2 Tr(\rho D(x+ip) e^{i \pi a^\dagger a} D(-x -ip)[/tex]
[tex] = 2 <\Psi|D(\alpha) e^{i \pi a^\dagger a} D^\dagger(\alpha)|\Psi>[/tex]
It may be seen as a double sum of
[tex] = 2 <\Psi|D(\alpha)|y><y| e^{i \pi a^\dagger a}|x><x| D^\dagger(\alpha)|\Psi>[/tex]
[tex]\int \int Exp(- i \frac{p_0 y - x_0 p_0/2}{ \hbar}) \Psi^*(y+x_0)<y| e^{i \pi a^\dagger a}|x> Exp( i \frac{p_0 x - x_0 p_0/2}{ \hbar}) \Psi(x+x_0)[/tex]
It can be shown that ##<y| e^{i \pi a^\dagger a}|x> = \delta(y+x)## so after one integration we get (up to a normalizing constant) the formula of the first definition.

1. What is a Wigner function?

A Wigner function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a system. It describes the probability of finding a particle at a particular position and momentum in phase space.

2. How is the Wigner function related to parity?

The Wigner function is related to parity through the average value of parity, which is calculated by integrating the Wigner function over all phase space. This quantity represents the average parity of the system.

3. Why is the Wigner function used as the average value of parity?

The Wigner function is used as the average value of parity because it provides a complete description of the quantum state of a system, including both position and momentum information. This makes it a useful tool for studying parity in quantum systems.

4. How is the Wigner function calculated?

The Wigner function is calculated by applying the Wigner transformation to the quantum density matrix of a system. This involves a Fourier transform in both position and momentum space, resulting in a function that describes the quantum state in phase space.

5. What are the applications of the Wigner function as the average value of parity?

The Wigner function as the average value of parity has applications in various areas of physics, including quantum information, quantum optics, and condensed matter physics. It can be used to study the behavior of quantum systems and to analyze their entanglement and coherence properties.