Will a Magnet and Copper Tube Hourglass Be Accurate Due to Lenz's Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating an hourglass timepiece using Lenz's law, a magnet, and a copper tube. The accuracy of the hourglass is questioned due to the potential effect of temperature on Lenz's law. It is suggested to use a thick walled copper tube to achieve the longest fall time for the magnet. The conversation also mentions the importance of controlling the resistance in the copper and using high purity materials. The potential effect of magnet size on the hourglass is also brought up.
ljfe
I had the idea of making an hourglass timepiece employing lenz's law using a magnet and copper tube (or copper bars for visibility).

Any idea how accurate my hourglass will be? I know Lenz's law is effected by temperature (not sure by how much).

If I drop a small magnet drop through a small thick walled copper tube, would that would give me the longest fall time? I think i read somewhere that thinner magnets would fall slower

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lenz's law itself is not a function of temperature, but the net effect you describe is a function of the material's resistance which in turn is a function of temp. Recall that for zero resistance (super conductor e.g.) you would get no movement and the magnetic is levitated. The thing to calculate I believe for you is the energy dissipated as resistance heating relative to the potential energy of the object. You'll want to control the resistance in the copper, so very pure, phone-line grade copper? I guess.

Or if you can get your hands on some high purity $ilver...

Thanks for the reply. is 1/4in C110 plates good? I wonder how magnet size would effect it? I ordered really small magnets

1. What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the direction of induced current in a conductor when exposed to changing magnetic fields. It states that the direction of the induced current will always be such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

2. How does Lenz's Law relate to Faraday's Law?

Lenz's Law and Faraday's Law are closely related, as Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law. Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field, and Lenz's Law specifies the direction of the induced current in response to this changing magnetic field.

3. What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are circular electric currents that are induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. These currents are created due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electrons in the conductor, and they produce their own magnetic field that opposes the original magnetic field.

4. How are eddy currents used in technology?

Eddy currents have a variety of practical applications in technology. They are commonly used in braking systems for trains and roller coasters, as well as in electromagnetic damping systems for precision instruments. They are also utilized in metal detectors and induction heating technology.

5. Can eddy currents be harmful?

In some cases, eddy currents can cause undesirable effects and be harmful. In power transformers, they can cause energy loss and increase the temperature of the transformer, leading to reduced efficiency. They can also cause interference in electronic devices and equipment, leading to malfunctions. However, proper design and control can minimize these effects.