Will an oscillating magnetic field penetrate a stainless steel tube?

In summary, the person is a chemical engineer and is not familiar with electromagnetics. They want to set up a fluctuating magnetic field using electromagnets to penetrate through a stainless steel tube with water inside. They are wondering if the tube will act as an antenna and if the water's conductivity will affect the field. The person has conducted a simple test with a permanent magnet and is hopeful that the field will work at low frequencies.
marson
I am a chemical engineer, not a physicist, so I am a bit rusty on my electromagnetics.

I need to set up a fluctuating magnetic field inside of a stainless steel tube (hopefully using a pair of electromagnets outside the tube), and I am wondering if the field will penentrate through the tube. I imagine that within some frequency range of oscillation the tube will act as an antenna, but assuming I am below that frequency, will it work?

The tube has 10mm ID and 1mm wall thickness and contains water.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org

The tube may attenuate the AC field due to eddy currents, depending on the tube configuration, field geometry, and frequency. If the field is transverse, the calculation is non-trivial. If it is axial, approximate formulas are available. You'll need to know the conductivity of the metal (this can be looked up if you know the stainless's type designator). If the water is conductive (saline), that will affect things as well.

Thanks for the info. I set up a simple test with a permanent magnet, and it works just fine. So, I am hoping that with a field oscillating at sufficiently low frequency I will get similar behavior.

1. How does an oscillating magnetic field penetrate a stainless steel tube?

An oscillating magnetic field can penetrate a stainless steel tube through a process called electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current flows through a coil of wire, it creates an oscillating magnetic field. This magnetic field then induces an electric current in the stainless steel tube, allowing the field to penetrate the material.

2. What factors affect the penetration of an oscillating magnetic field in stainless steel tubes?

The penetration of an oscillating magnetic field in stainless steel tubes can be affected by several factors, including the strength and frequency of the magnetic field, the composition and thickness of the stainless steel, and the presence of any magnetic shielding material.

3. Can a high frequency magnetic field penetrate stainless steel tubes better than a low frequency one?

Yes, a high frequency magnetic field can penetrate stainless steel tubes better than a low frequency one. This is because the higher frequency allows for a stronger magnetic field, which can induce a larger electric current in the stainless steel and therefore penetrate the material more effectively.

4. Is there a limit to how thick a stainless steel tube can be and still be penetrated by an oscillating magnetic field?

Yes, there is a limit to how thick a stainless steel tube can be and still be penetrated by an oscillating magnetic field. The thicker the stainless steel, the more resistance it will have to the induced electric current, making it more difficult for the magnetic field to penetrate. Eventually, the thickness will reach a point where the magnetic field cannot induce enough current to penetrate the tube.

5. Can the direction of the oscillating magnetic field affect its penetration in stainless steel tubes?

Yes, the direction of the oscillating magnetic field can affect its penetration in stainless steel tubes. The orientation and alignment of the magnetic field relative to the stainless steel can impact the strength and effectiveness of the induction process. In some cases, changing the direction of the magnetic field may result in better penetration of the stainless steel tube.