Will bad grades on Chem & Bio hurt my grad school chances?

In summary: Maybe too, you should not restrict yourself to the default schedule of semester by semester expected courses.
TechieDork
I'm a 2nd year physics student (Thailand) and in the freshman year I was goofing around the campus because I thought the freshman courses were easy resulting in a C+ and a B in Biology. (The exams were far more demanding than I thought) . However,I did quite well on the other courses.

-I'm now worrying that this will hurt my chance of getting into a physics grad school
-what would the admission officers think of this when I show them my transcripts?
-Are there anyways could I compensate for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Especially in the Biology course , I thought I understand the material well. Unaware that I need to put more works into this , I have to get nearly every technical terms right , research the unclear detail that a provided material didn't cover it well enough (and this will end up on the exam).

-I've lost 1 point for didn't know what does a logistic graph look like.

Depends on where you apply and the total picture of your application.

There's no point in worrying about this, you can't change your grades. All you can do is now work hard to get better grades. I often think that an observed improvement in grades is a good measure of a person rather than someone who consistently receives high grades as it shows some adjustment / development. But this is just my opinion.

Likes berkeman
TechieDork said:
Especially in the Biology course , I thought I understand the material well. Unaware that I need to put more works into this , I have to get nearly every technical terms right , research the unclear detail that a provided material didn't cover it well enough (and this will end up on the exam).

-I've lost 1 point for didn't know what does a logistic graph look like.
Is it possible for you to retake the class? It would look good to have a better grade and to see you sticking with the material to get it right.

I would focus on improving the future instead of fretting about the past.

Likes berkeman and WWGD
WWGD said:
Is it possible for you to retake the class? It would look good to have a better grade and to see you sticking with the material to get it right.

It's impossible because it will mess with the default schedule on that semester,I think I should try harder on the other courses to make upward trends.

And I realize there are things that I should really be concern about :

-Maths skills
(The next semester will be really tough , EM class with the most rigorous professor in the Department)

-Coding skills
(My undergraduate physics program didn't include this as a mandatory course, so I have to learn it by myself or taking it as a free-elective)

-Communication skills

Likes WWGD
You're most likely right.Can you get a head start on the skills you will need for next semester?

Last edited:
Likes TechieDork
WWGD said:
You're most likely right.Can you get a head start on the skills you will need for next semester?

Well , I've planned the self-study plan ahead.

In this upcoming break (Nov-Dec)...

-I'll be working through "Ml Boas Mathematical Methods for Physical Sciences" to gain the needed maths for EM Classical Mechanics II.

-Coding : I think a month is reasonable to grasp some basic concepts in Python.

-Communication : I'll be learning about how to design an effective presentation slides.

Likes WWGD
TechieDork said:
Well , I've planned the self-study plan ahead.

In this upcoming break (Nov-Dec)...

-I'll be working through "Ml Boas Mathematical Methods for Physical Sciences" to gain the needed maths for EM Classical Mechanics II.

-Coding : I think a month is reasonable to grasp some basic concepts in Python.

-Communication : I'll be learning about how to design an effective presentation slides.
Good luck, go for it!

TechieDork said:
It's impossible because it will mess with the default schedule on that semester,I think I should try harder on the other courses to make upward trends.

And I realize there are things that I should really be concern about :

-Maths skills
(The next semester will be really tough , EM class with the most rigorous professor in the Department)

-Coding skills
(My undergraduate physics program didn't include this as a mandatory course, so I have to learn it by myself or taking it as a free-elective)

-Communication skills
My impression from so many years ago, is that E&M will put a big load on your mathematical abilities, including Trigonometry, all of whatever Calculus you have had, a little bit of Linear Algebra, and some use of complex numbers.

Maybe you should enroll in at least a beginning programming course, if you believe such skills will be beneficial for E&M.

Maybe too, you should not restrict yourself to the default schedule of semester by semester expected courses. (If your institution does not allow for any other schedule of courses for your semesters, then this is disappointing.)

1. Will having bad grades in chemistry and biology affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

It depends on the specific graduate program you are applying to and the weight they place on grades. Generally, a few bad grades in one subject may not significantly impact your chances, but consistently low grades in these subjects may raise red flags for admissions committees.

2. Can I compensate for my bad grades in chemistry and biology with strong letters of recommendation or other achievements?

Yes, a strong overall application can help balance out lower grades in specific subjects. However, it is important to note that grades are typically a major factor in the admissions decision, so it is best to strive for good grades in all subjects.

3. Will retaking chemistry and biology courses improve my chances of getting into graduate school?

Retaking courses and improving your grades can demonstrate your dedication and ability to improve, which may positively impact your application. However, some graduate programs may only consider your first attempt at a course, so it is important to research the policies of the programs you are applying to.

4. Are there any other factors besides grades that graduate schools consider?

Yes, in addition to grades, graduate schools also consider factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, personal statements, and standardized test scores. It is important to have a well-rounded application that showcases your strengths in all of these areas.

5. Should I address my bad grades in my application or personal statement?

It is generally not recommended to draw attention to your bad grades in your application or personal statement. Instead, focus on highlighting your strengths and accomplishments in other areas. However, if there were extenuating circumstances that led to your low grades, it may be appropriate to briefly mention them in your application.