Will Chandrayaan-1 Launch Tomorrow Despite Monsoon Season and Lightning Storms?

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Launch Set
In summary, despite the monsoon season and potential lightning storms, the launch of Chandrayaan-1 is still scheduled to take place tomorrow. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has taken measures to protect the launch site from lightning strikes and has deemed the weather conditions safe for the launch. Chandrayaan-1 is a lunar exploration mission that aims to study the moon's surface and search for water and other resources. This launch is a significant step for India's space program and is expected to pave the way for future missions to the moon and beyond.
neutrino
If everything goes well, the PSLV-C11 will be launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre tomorrow at 06:20 Hrs IST (22 October 00:50 UTC). We are well into the (NE) Monsoon, but according to news reports, the scientists are not worried about rain as much as they are about lightning storms.

More info about the the mission and the spacecraft : http://isro.org/pslv-c11/brochure/index.htm

Apparently, they are also going to have a webcast: http://isro.org/ (starts half an hour before scheduled launch)

And if it's clear early tomorrow morning, I will try to snap a few pics of the rocket going up from my house. Stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hope all goes well, and yes, take photos!

I second that! Need pictures! It's a historic launch.

It was a flawless launch on a cloudy morning. The spacecraft has been placed in its temporary Earth orbit. In a little over two weeks, it should be orbiting the Moon as planned.

Unfortunately, the cloudy morning also meant that I could not view the launch. In fact, the only gaps in the clods were towards the North (roughly the direction of the launch centre), but I couldn't even see the trail!

neutrino said:
It was a flawless launch on a cloudy morning. The spacecraft has been placed in its temporary Earth orbit. In a little over two weeks, it should be orbiting the Moon as planned.

Unfortunately, the cloudy morning also meant that I could not view the launch. In fact, the only gaps in the clods were towards the North (roughly the direction of the launch centre), but I couldn't even see the trail!
Crap! I had hoped that you and your Canon could capture a bit of Indian history.

be well

Very nice!

NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/22/world/asia/22indiamoon.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

22indiamoon2_600.jpg

Related to Will Chandrayaan-1 Launch Tomorrow Despite Monsoon Season and Lightning Storms?

1. What is Chandrayaan-1?

Chandrayaan-1 is India's first lunar mission, launched by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) in 2008. It was designed to orbit the moon and gather data on its surface and atmosphere.

2. When is Chandrayaan-1 set to launch?

Chandrayaan-1 was launched on October 22, 2008 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, India.

3. What are the objectives of Chandrayaan-1?

The main objectives of Chandrayaan-1 were to create a 3D map of the lunar surface, study the mineral and chemical composition of the moon, and search for water molecules on the moon's surface.

4. What were the major achievements of Chandrayaan-1?

Chandrayaan-1 successfully discovered water molecules on the moon's surface, mapped the moon's topography and mineral composition, and provided evidence for the existence of lunar lava tubes. It also confirmed the presence of helium-3, a potential fuel for future nuclear fusion reactors.

5. What is the significance of Chandrayaan-1's launch?

Chandrayaan-1 marked India's entry into the space race and demonstrated its capabilities in space exploration. It also paved the way for future missions, such as Chandrayaan-2, which successfully landed a rover on the moon in 2019.

Back