Will EMF be induced in a coil that is accelerating in a uniform magnetic field?

In summary: If let say the rod is moving to the right and the magnetic field is directed into the page, using Fleming's left hand rule I get the force acting on the electron will be downwards so the upper tip of the rod will have higher potential compared to lower tip of the rod.
songoku
Homework Statement
Suppose there is infinitely large region of uniform magnetic field. A circular coil moves in the region and while moving, the plane of the coil is always perpendicular to the magnetic field.
a) Will emf be induced in the coil if the coil moves with constant speed?
b) Will emf be induced in the coil if the coil accelerates?
Relevant Equations
Faraday's and Len'z Law
My answer will be no for both (a) and (b) because there is no change in magnetic flux experienced by the circular coil.

Am I correct? Thanks

Likes Delta2 and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answers. Can you say which equation would be best to show this quantitatively? :smile:

Likes songoku
berkeman said:
I agree with your answers. Can you say which equation would be best to show this quantitatively? :smile:
##\varepsilon = - N \frac{\Delta \phi}{\Delta t} = -N \frac{\Delta (BA cos \theta)}{\Delta t}##

All the variables ##B, A## and ##\theta## do not changeI have another questions. If the circular coil is changed with:
c) solenoid
d) a straight rod

Will emf be induced?

My answer is no for (c) because the same reason, no change in magnetic flux and there will be emf induced for (d). If let say the rod is moving to the right and the magnetic field is directed into the page, using Fleming's left hand rule I get the force acting on the electron will be downwards so the upper tip of the rod will have higher potential compared to lower tip of the rod.

But I am not sure how to show answer to question (d) quantitatively. Using the same formula:

##\varepsilon = - N \frac{\Delta \phi}{\Delta t} = -N \frac{\Delta (BA cos \theta)}{\Delta t}##

Then how to proceed? I can not see what variables will change to produce emf

Thanks

songoku said:
for (d). If let say the rod is moving to the right and the magnetic field is directed into the page, using Fleming's left hand rule I get the force acting on the electron will be downwards so the upper tip of the rod will have higher potential compared to lower tip of the rod.
songoku said:
But I am not sure how to show answer to question (d) quantitatively
The search term is Motional EMF. Here is a video about it from the Khan Academy:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...duced-in-rod-traveling-through-magnetic-field

Likes songoku
Thank you very much berkeman

Likes berkeman

1. Will the direction of the induced EMF change if the coil is accelerated in the opposite direction?

Yes, the direction of the induced EMF will change if the coil is accelerated in the opposite direction. This is because the direction of the induced EMF is dependent on the direction of the magnetic field and the rate of change of the magnetic flux.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the magnitude of the induced EMF?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the magnitude of the induced EMF. The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the change in magnetic flux and therefore the higher the magnitude of the induced EMF.

3. Will the induced EMF be affected if the coil is accelerated at a constant speed?

No, the induced EMF will not be affected if the coil is accelerated at a constant speed. The induced EMF is only dependent on the rate of change of the magnetic flux, so as long as the coil is moving and the magnetic field is constant, the induced EMF will remain the same.

4. How does the number of turns in the coil affect the induced EMF?

The number of turns in the coil directly affects the induced EMF. The more turns in the coil, the greater the change in magnetic flux and therefore the higher the magnitude of the induced EMF.

5. What is the relationship between the velocity of the coil and the induced EMF?

The velocity of the coil has a direct relationship with the induced EMF. The faster the coil is accelerated, the greater the change in magnetic flux and therefore the higher the magnitude of the induced EMF.