Will grad school look at your GPA differently than your undergrad uni?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of GPA at a university without the +- system and the potential impact on graduate school applications. The person asking the question expresses frustration at not receiving an answer and offers possible reasons for the lack of response. The summary concludes by advising the person to focus on achieving the best grades possible instead of worrying about the specific calculation methods used by graduate schools.
jaydnul
At my university, they calculate gpa without the +- system. So if i got 90s (A-) in all of my classes i would have a 4.0. In general, when applying to grad school, will they look at the gpa my university says i have or will some of them calculate it to be a 3.6?

Physics news on Phys.org
No one? I feel like this is a decent question...

A couple reasons for why there may not be an answer.

Demanding an answer in a time window is rude. People here are volunteers, and often have other things to do. Complaining that these volunteers aren't answering you fast enough is not likely to make someone rush out and provide an answer.

If you are thinking about graduate school, you have enough physics knowledge to help other people. A quick search shows how often you actually do. People who are contributing their own time and effort tend to get more responses than people who are not.

Nobody can read an individual committee's mind.

You should get the best grades you can, and stop worrying about whether the graduate school will be taking the square root of the logarithm of fractional part of the GPA. The one thing you have control over is your grades - make them as good as possible.

1. Will grad school consider my undergraduate GPA when evaluating my application?

Yes, graduate schools typically consider undergraduate GPA as one of the factors in the admissions process. However, they also take into account other aspects such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

2. Does the reputation of my undergraduate university affect how grad schools view my GPA?

In general, the reputation of your undergraduate university is not as important as your actual GPA. However, if your university is known for having a rigorous academic program, it may reflect positively on your GPA and application.

3. Will grad schools look at my overall GPA or just my GPA in my major?

This can vary depending on the graduate program and university. Some may only consider your GPA in your major, while others may look at your overall GPA. It's important to research the specific requirements of the graduate programs you are interested in.

4. Can I make up for a low undergraduate GPA with a strong performance in graduate school?

While a strong performance in graduate school can certainly help improve your overall academic record, it may not completely make up for a low undergraduate GPA. Graduate schools will still consider your undergraduate GPA, but may also take into account any improvements or challenges you faced during your graduate studies.

5. How heavily does GPA weigh in the graduate school admissions process?

This can vary depending on the program and university, but in general, GPA is an important factor in the admissions process. Some programs may have a minimum GPA requirement, while others may have a more holistic approach and consider other factors alongside GPA. It's important to research the specific admissions criteria for the programs you are interested in.