Will this solar charge controller circuit work?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit designed to control the charging of a 12v 7ah battery using a 10w, 24v solar panel. The circuit does not include MPP management or voltage conversion, and there are concerns about its effectiveness in charging a battery from a wind turbine. Further research on the 555 chip and the charging process of batteries is recommended before implementing this circuit.
Manoj Sahu
555ChargeController2.jpeg

The circuit is intended to control the charging of a 12v 7ah battery by a 10w, 24v volt solar panel.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Manoj Sahu said:
View attachment 195711
The circuit is intended to control the charging of a 12v 7ah battery by a 10w, 24v volt solar panel.
Could you explain in more detail how this circuit is supposed to work? Where did you get it?

And how are you down-converting the 24V power source to charge the 12V battery? What kind of 12V battery is it (lead-acid, etc.)?

How are you ensuring that you are drawing power from the Solar Panel or Windmill at its Maximum Power Point? I don't see any MPP management circuitry or voltage conversion circuitry in this schematic...

I guess the way I see it is a voltage sensing circuit with some adjustable hysteresis that switches the battery in and out of the charging circuit. That part should work but there is nothing that steps down voltage or limits current. A good start but not complete.

Likes PhysicoRaj
I guess you are referring this site - http://www.mdpub.com/555Controller/. The site provides a good looking schematic and comparison but unsatisfactory explanation on how it works and why you should be doing few things like they've been told to.
The 555 can do more than what it does in that circuit (search more about this). And I don't think that is a charge 'controller', probably just some hysteresis implementation with facility to switch between dump/charge mode, as Averagesupernova pointed out.

Lastly, (connecting your other thread on wind turbines) I don't think this circuit will charge your battery from a wind turbine, which might be a an alternator if you're thinking about. Solar just might get away with it.
I suggest you to do some self study on 555's, charging process of a battery (or batteries) and Power & V-I characteristics of solar panels. Blindly following an electrical DIY is not recommended.

1. How does a solar charge controller circuit work?

A solar charge controller circuit is a device that regulates the amount of voltage and current coming from a solar panel into a battery. It works by continuously monitoring the battery's state of charge and adjusting the flow of energy accordingly. This helps prevent overcharging and damage to the battery, ultimately prolonging its lifespan.

2. Can I use any solar charge controller circuit for my solar panels?

It is important to choose a solar charge controller circuit that is compatible with the voltage and current output of your specific solar panels. Some controllers are designed for specific panel types, so it is best to consult with a professional or read the specifications carefully before making a purchase.

3. What is the maximum capacity of a solar charge controller circuit?

The maximum capacity of a solar charge controller circuit refers to the maximum amount of current it can handle. This varies depending on the specific model and can range from a few amps to hundreds of amps. It is important to choose a controller with a capacity that can handle the maximum output of your solar panels.

4. How do I know if my solar charge controller circuit is working properly?

A properly functioning solar charge controller circuit should regulate the flow of energy from the solar panel to the battery, preventing overcharging and maintaining a healthy state of charge. You can check its performance by monitoring the battery's voltage and current, and ensuring that it is within the recommended range for your specific battery.

5. Do I need a solar charge controller circuit if I have a small solar panel system?

It is recommended to use a solar charge controller circuit for all solar panel systems, regardless of size. Even with a small system, fluctuations in voltage and current can occur, and a controller helps to regulate this and protect your battery from damage. It is a small investment that can greatly benefit the lifespan and performance of your solar panel system.