Will two lasers deliver exactly double the heating?

In summary, when two lasers of equal frequency are shone on the same spot without interfering with each other, the energy absorbed at that spot will be double. This is because the lasers are not perfectly phase locked and have a coherence length and time. However, when the two beams interfere destructively, the energy will be redistributed in the surrounding space, resulting in a dark spot with zero energy. This can be tested using a light detector, but it is important to note that in the region of ideal total destructive interference, there is zero probability of detecting photons. Therefore, in this case, there is zero EM energy arriving at the spot.
Bullington
Gold Member
If you shine two lasers at the same spot that are the same frequency, and; exactly out of phase; would there still be energy at the one spot they are pointed at?

Science news on Phys.org
If you shine two lasers of equal frequencies on one spot, will the energy absorbed at the one spot be double?

Where two EM fields exactly cancel, there is zero EM energy and no photons are detected.
This is how interference patterns work.

In the laser example - to be exact, for ideal lasers, you'd need the beams to be coincident.
This would mean there is no beam.

Likes Bullington
Lasers are not perfect. They have a phase or coherence length which can be quite significant number of meters. This translates into a coherence time which is on the order of microseconds. So two lasers that are not phase locked would go in and out of phase in the MHz range or (more likely) much higher. I wouldn't expect to see anything by eye but a very fast photo diode might see the fluctuations. If any true laser expert is listening, please comment with more accurate numbers.

Likes mfb and Bullington
Ah, I see, so I will rephrase the question; if we shine two lasers with equal frequency, at the same spot and they don't interfere with each others path, what could the energy at that one spot be?

If they don't interfere with each other's path, then the energy on the spot will be double (over a time average).

Bullington said:
Ah, I see, so I will rephrase the question; if we shine two lasers with equal frequency, at the same spot and they don't interfere with each others path, what could the energy at that one spot be?

Just curious why you would think, without interference, that it would be anything other than double?

pixel said:
Just curious why you would think, without interference, that it would be anything other than double?
Well, I would think it wouldn't be double, maybe if the lasers interfered constructively then I would say the energy would increase, but two lasers on the same spot without any interference, that doubles? This is a new topic for me so I'd like to look into it a bit more, is there any reference for the energy being double?

The simplest way to get two phase locked lasers with identical frequencies is to use a single laser and some beam splitters. The beams may be recombined to show the interference patten phenomena your asking about. Because the phase coherence length is real large with a decent laser, this is real simple.

Even if the 2 beams do interfere with each other destructively, the energy absorbed by the target should still be the sum of the 2 beams.
If it less, then where did the non-absorbed energy go?

mrspeedybob said:
Elsewhere is the short answer. The best one might do to exactly overlap two destructively canceling beams is likely feeding two ports of a 4 port beam splitter. In this case all the power would exit one port while none would go out the other (canceling one). Beam splitters conserve energy so it all balances when the numbers are worked.

mrspeedybob said:
Even if the 2 beams do interfere with each other destructively, the energy absorbed by the target should still be the sum of the 2 beams.
Ah, this is interesting,

I would like to know where I can find out more about this; I believe there is energy, but I can't justify.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets say we do the slit experiment, is there a way to test the energy of the dark spots? I'm getting conflicting information,.

Someone said that even if the two lasers are destructive there energy will be double. Is there any documentation on this? Maybe a good introductory book?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can test the power per unit area using a light detector. This test is done many times a year and the density falls off in the dark areas. I don't see a contradictory reply in the linked thread.

Note: in the regeon of ideal total destructive interference, there is zero probability of detecting photons.
Therefore there is zero em energy arriving there.

A detector will collect photons from nearbe areas which may not have total destructive interference.
It is also lokely tgat a real laser system departs from the idealized geometry you are using in your thoughts on this matter.

Hi,
For superposition of beams of EM waves, the energy will be re-distributed in the space. So, a dark spot can have 0 energy.

Related to Will two lasers deliver exactly double the heating?

1. How does heating with two lasers differ from heating with one laser?

Heating with two lasers results in a higher overall energy output compared to using just one laser. This is because the energy from each laser is combined, resulting in a larger amount of heat being delivered.

2. Will using two lasers double the temperature of the heating process?

No, using two lasers will not necessarily double the temperature. The temperature increase will depend on the specific output power and wavelength of each laser, as well as the properties of the material being heated.

3. Can using two lasers cause uneven heating?

Yes, using two lasers can potentially cause uneven heating if they are not properly aligned or if there are variations in the material being heated. It is important to carefully control the output of each laser to ensure even heating.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using two lasers for heating?

Yes, there are safety concerns when using lasers for any application. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear when working with lasers to avoid potential harm to yourself and others.

5. Are there any advantages to using two lasers for heating instead of one?

Yes, using two lasers can provide several advantages, such as faster and more efficient heating, the ability to heat larger or more complex materials, and the potential for more precise and controlled heating. However, it also requires more advanced equipment and careful calibration to achieve optimal results.