Wind Power Basics: Laws, Principles & Theories

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of renewable energy, specifically wind power. The person is seeking information on the theories, laws, principles, and effects involved in wind turbine operation and generation of electricity. The conversation also touches on the variety of wind turbine designs and the effectiveness of different types. The person is advised to conduct research through educational and government websites for reliable scientific information.
kateman

Homework Statement

iam doing an assignment on renewable energy, specifically wind power. basically, i wish to know what are all and any principals, laws and theories that you can think of involved in this system. i just wish to know the names, i can do the research (no matter how difficult or advance they are).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

well i know of the magnus effect but am at a loss right now as to what more are out there involved in this process. any suggestions welcome :)

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't mean to sound rude but that's not what i was asking for

i wished to know of any theories, laws, principles and effects that are involved in the operation of the wind mills from the movement of particles to the generation of electricity. an example would be the magnus effect which continues the blade's motion as long as there is a perpendicular force (the wind in this case) upon them.

i doubt that this one effect could be the only thing that i should be researching but even when iam reading physics dictionaries iam not coming up with anything.

kateman said:
i don't mean to sound rude but that's not what i was asking for

i wished to know of any theories, laws, principles and effects that are involved in the operation of the wind mills from the movement of particles to the generation of electricity.

It seems to me that the 3rd link on my search page has pretty much exactly that. It's a 42 page paper that details the theory of wind turbine operation.

oh, my apologies.
that link is quite useful, thanks for your time :)

may i also ask, why is it that there are so many different types of wind turbines out there?

i mean they have 1, 2, 3 and 4 blade types and so many different designs of the turbines and it just doesn't seem to make sense to build different types if one is more effective than the other.
iam kind of lost on that explanation but if you can explain to me that, then iam going to be all good! thanks

That I'm not too sure of. I don't know a whole lot about wind power generation. But when I want to know about something, I Google it and sift through the "dot edu" and "dot gov" websites that turn up. Educational and government institutions generally have reliable scientific info.

okay thanks heaps

Related to Wind Power Basics: Laws, Principles & Theories

What is wind power and how does it work?

Wind power is the conversion of wind energy into electricity. This is done through the use of wind turbines, which have blades that rotate and turn a generator to produce electricity. The wind's kinetic energy is harnessed to generate power, which can then be used for various purposes.

What are the benefits of using wind power?

One of the main benefits of wind power is that it is a clean and renewable source of energy. It does not emit any pollutants or greenhouse gases, making it environmentally friendly. Wind power also reduces our dependence on fossil fuels and helps to mitigate the effects of climate change.

How is wind speed measured and why is it important?

Wind speed is typically measured using an anemometer. It is important to measure wind speed because it determines the amount of energy that can be harnessed from the wind. Higher wind speeds mean more energy can be generated, making it more efficient for wind power production.

What are the laws and principles that govern wind power?

The main laws and principles that govern wind power include Betz's law, which states that the maximum possible energy that can be extracted from the wind is 59.3%, and the three blade rule, which states that three blades are the most efficient design for wind turbines. Other principles include the lift and drag forces acting on the blades, and the concept of tip speed ratio.

What are the current advancements and developments in wind power technology?

There are many ongoing advancements and developments in wind power technology, including larger and more efficient turbines, improved blade designs, and the use of artificial intelligence for optimal turbine placement. There is also research being done on offshore wind farms and the integration of wind power with other renewable energy sources.