Wind Turbine Power Calculation Equations

In summary, the conversation is about understanding an equation for calculating the power extracted by the blades of a wind turbine. The equation is P = 1/2*m*(v2 - v2d), and the person is seeking clarification on the use of 1/2, the negative sign, and the 2 in the equation. They believe it is related to F=ma and the squared velocity representing acceleration, but they are still struggling to understand. They are also looking for tips on how to arrive at the final equation (18.5) mentioned in a linked resource.
recreated
Glad it's Friday? I will be if you can help me with this :D :

I'm trying to understand an equation about calculating the power extracted by the blades of a wind turbine. I have spent a couple of hours going over it but still not making much more sense.

I'm trying to find out why P = 1/2*m*(v2 - v2d). Why the 1/2? Why the '-' sign?? And why the 2 ? I assume it is to do with F=ma, so the v (velocity) is squared to show acceleration but still I can't figure it all out.

1.PNG

2.PNG

Any tips on how they got to the last equation (18.5) shown above would be amazing!

Thank you! Cannot wait for this to make sense

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.raeng.org.uk/education/diploma/maths/pdf/exemplars_advanced/23_Wind_Turbine.pdf

Likes 1 person
Does K.E.= 1/2 X M X V2 look familiar?

It does now, RTW69

:)

I can certainly help you with understanding the equation for calculating the power extracted by wind turbine blades. First, let's break down each component of the equation and its significance.

P represents power, which is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. In this case, it is the power extracted by the wind turbine blades.

The 1/2 in the equation is a constant that represents the conversion of kinetic energy to electrical energy. It comes from the fact that the kinetic energy of a moving object is equal to 1/2 times its mass multiplied by the square of its velocity (KE = 1/2*m*v^2).

The 'm' in the equation represents the mass of the air passing through the blades per unit time. This is essentially the amount of air that the turbine is capturing and converting into energy.

The first 'v' in the equation represents the wind speed, while the second 'v' represents the wind speed behind the turbine, also known as the downwind velocity. The '-' sign between them indicates that the downwind velocity is subtracted from the wind speed.

The reason for this subtraction is due to the concept of conservation of momentum. As the wind passes through the turbine, it loses some of its energy to the blades, resulting in a decrease in wind speed behind the turbine. This decrease in wind speed is reflected in the equation by subtracting the downwind velocity from the wind speed.

Finally, the 2 in the equation is simply there to account for the fact that the kinetic energy of the wind is proportional to the square of its velocity.

As for the last equation (18.5) shown above, it is likely the result of plugging in specific values for the variables in the original equation. Without knowing the specific context or values used, it is difficult to provide an explanation for it.

I hope this helps to clarify the equation for you. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Happy Friday!

Related to Wind Turbine Power Calculation Equations

1. What is the formula for calculating the power output of a wind turbine?

The formula for calculating the power output of a wind turbine is P = 0.5 x ρ x A x Cp x V^3, where P is the power output in watts, ρ is the density of air, A is the swept area of the rotor in square meters, Cp is the power coefficient, and V is the wind speed in meters per second.

2. How do you calculate the swept area of a wind turbine?

The swept area of a wind turbine can be calculated by multiplying the radius of the rotor (in meters) squared by π (3.14). This will give you the area of one blade, so be sure to multiply by the number of blades on the turbine.

3. What is the power coefficient in the wind turbine power calculation equation?

The power coefficient (Cp) is a measure of how efficiently a wind turbine converts the kinetic energy of the wind into electrical energy. It takes into account the design of the turbine and the wind speed, and is typically between 0 and 0.59.

4. How does air density affect wind turbine power output?

Air density affects wind turbine power output because the formula for calculating power output includes the density of air. As air density decreases, there is less mass for the wind turbine to capture and convert into energy, resulting in a lower power output.

5. What is the maximum power output of a wind turbine?

The maximum power output of a wind turbine depends on several factors such as the size and design of the turbine, the wind speed, and the air density. However, most modern wind turbines have a maximum power output of 1-2 megawatts (MW), with some larger turbines reaching up to 8 MW.