Wind turbines - recent developments

In summary, some recent developments for wind turbines include research and development into ways to control the turbines, as well as articles that discuss ways to mitigate risks associated with wind turbines.
kateman
Hello,

I have been trying to find recent developments for wind turbines (post 2000) but so far haven't been successful.

Does anyone have any ideas as to any recent developments that have occurred (even if you arn't sure, just some ideas that I could research)?

thank-you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
kateman said:
Hello,

I have been trying to find recent developments for wind turbines (post 2000) but so far haven't been successful.

Does anyone have any ideas as to any recent developments that have occurred (even if you arn't sure, just some ideas that I could research)?

thank-you!

http://www.nrel.gov/wind/pubs_research.html

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
that is a huge resource
i can't believe I haven't seen it before

thank-you so much stewartcs, I really appreciate it!

http://www.ecn.nl/en/wind/publications/

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, thanks you two for the extra information - its all really good :)

http://www.whalepower.com/drupal/
http://www.whalepower.com/drupal/?q=node/7

wow, thank you. Thats crazy translating the flipper of a whale into the blade of a turbine. I love how you can never seem to stop learning from nature.

I can't say to much for the obvious reasons, but like some articles that are on the net about these things say, they will be controlled.

Topher925 said:
I can't say to much for the obvious reasons, but like some articles that are on the net about these things say, they will be controlled.

fair enough, cheers

Related to Wind turbines - recent developments

1. How have wind turbines advanced in recent years?

Wind turbines have advanced in several ways in recent years. One major development is the use of larger and more efficient turbines, which are able to generate more electricity. Another development is the use of advanced materials, such as carbon fiber, to make the turbines more durable and lightweight. Additionally, there have been improvements in the design and placement of wind turbines, such as using offshore locations with stronger and more consistent winds.

2. What types of innovations have been made in wind turbine technology?

There have been several key innovations in wind turbine technology in recent years. One is the use of direct drive generators, which eliminate the need for a gearbox and can improve efficiency and reliability. Another is the development of smart wind turbines, which use sensors and data analytics to optimize performance and reduce maintenance costs. Additionally, there have been advancements in blade design, such as curved blades and blade tip extensions, which can increase energy production.

3. How have wind turbines addressed environmental concerns?

In recent years, wind turbines have made significant strides in addressing environmental concerns. For example, there has been a focus on reducing the noise level of turbines to minimize disturbance to nearby communities. Some companies have also started incorporating bird-friendly designs, such as painting blades with patterns that are more visible to birds, to reduce the impact on bird populations. Additionally, advancements in recycling and repurposing of old turbine components have helped to reduce the environmental impact of wind energy.

4. What are the challenges facing wind turbine technology?

While wind turbines have made great advancements in recent years, there are still some challenges facing the technology. One major challenge is the intermittency of wind energy, as wind speeds can vary and turbines may not always be able to generate electricity. Another challenge is the high upfront costs of installing wind turbines, although this is becoming more affordable as technology improves. Additionally, there are concerns about the visual impact of wind turbines and their potential effects on property values.

5. How are wind turbines being integrated into the energy grid?

Wind turbines are being integrated into the energy grid in a variety of ways. One common method is through power purchase agreements, where a wind energy company sells electricity directly to a utility or other customer. Another approach is through community wind projects, where local communities own and operate wind turbines to generate electricity for their own use. There are also efforts to develop energy storage solutions, such as batteries, to help balance the intermittent nature of wind energy and make it more reliable for the grid.