Window blinds - colour depends on window open/closed

In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of a change in color perception from the inside of a house when looking through the blinds. The color of the blinds is a light brownish color, but when the window in front of it is closed, the color appears slightly dark greenish. The reason for this change is due to the glass filtering certain wavelengths more than others, and regular glass containing iron which gives it a green tint. To avoid this, one can use low iron glass, such as Optiwhite, for a clearer view.
Thunderfox
Hello,

I am a bit confused regarding something I have observed on the blinds in front of my windows. The "real" colour is a sort of a light brownish colour (NCS S 4010 Y50R to be precise - see http://ncscolour.com/product/s-4010-y50r/).

However, when the window in front of it is closed, the colour you perceive from the inside of the house is a sort of a slightly dark greenish one. On the attached image you can see the blinds with the window-door open (right) and closed (left).

This is a bit confusing, I have no idea why the colour changes. There door is triple-glass.

Any ideas ??

Best regards

Richard

Attachments

• Mystere.JPG
    Mystere.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 427
Likes jim mcnamara
Physics news on Phys.org
The glass filters some wavelengths more than others.

Likes davenn
I believe regular glass contains iron which gives glass a green tint. Sometimes the edges of glass are obviously green. You can get low iron glass of which Optiwhite (Spelling?) Is one brand available in the UK. It's used for things like frameless showers.

Thanks for your replies. Regards

1. How does the color of window blinds change when the window is open or closed?

The color of window blinds can change when the window is open or closed due to the difference in lighting. When the window is open, natural light can affect the appearance of the blinds, making them appear brighter or more washed out. When the window is closed, the artificial lighting inside the room can also alter the perceived color of the blinds.

2. Will the color of window blinds always change when the window is open or closed?

The color of window blinds may not always change when the window is open or closed. It depends on the type of blinds and the amount of natural or artificial light in the room. Some materials, such as wood or fabric, may be more prone to color changes than others.

3. Can I control the color of my window blinds by adjusting the window position?

Yes, you can control the color of your window blinds by adjusting the window position. Opening the window will allow more natural light to enter the room, which can brighten the appearance of the blinds. Closing the window will reduce the amount of light and may make the blinds appear darker or less vibrant.

4. How can I prevent the color of my window blinds from changing?

To prevent the color of your window blinds from changing, you can choose materials that are less prone to color changes, such as PVC or aluminum. You can also use window treatments, such as curtains or drapes, to block out natural light and maintain a consistent color for your blinds.

5. Is the color change of window blinds a sign of damage or wear and tear?

The color change of window blinds is not necessarily a sign of damage or wear and tear. It is a natural effect of light on different materials. However, if you notice a significant and sudden change in color, it may be a sign of damage or discoloration and should be inspected and repaired if necessary.