Winning physics/math competitions

• Thread starter Hioj
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's love for physics and math and their search for a worthwhile goal to pursue. They consider participating in a physics and/or math competition and ask about the potential benefits and prestige of winning. They also inquire about available competitions for undergraduates and whether winning would be helpful for their career or graduate school goals. The other participants in the conversation share their experiences and opinions, with some suggesting that getting involved in research and getting publications may be more beneficial for standing out as an undergraduate. They also discuss the difficulty of winning such competitions and the potential impact on graduate school admissions. Overall, the conversation highlights the value of participating in competitions for the enjoyment and challenge, rather than solely for the potential benefits.
Hioj
I recently found out that I really love physics and math. But in order to propel myself forward most efficiently, I need to have a goal in mind, and that goal has to be worthwhile. It's too late for me to participate in the IPhO/IMO, unfortunately.

Which goals would you recommend I set for myself?

I was thinking of going for the top spot at a physics and/or math competition (thus the title of this post). How would winning such a competition help me in my career goals, personal goals etc.? What prestige follows from winning such a competition?

I haven't been able to find that many competitions available to undergrads, can you lead me to any?

I hope you can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think winning a competition will have much of an effect at all on your career goals. I know a lot of physicists. I don't know any who have won such a competition, which most likely means that it's not much talked about.

If you want to stand out as an undergrad, the way to do it is by getting involved in original research and getting a publication or two. This is common among undergrads applying to grad school; while some conferences might give research awards, for the most part competitions like that are for high school students.

Your own university should have math and physics competitions for its own undergrads. Usually if you are among the top 5 in your own university math competition you can compete in the Putnam competition in which students from across the North America compete. However, if you have never been involved in such competitions in high school, you are going to have to put an enormous amount of effort to be even in the top 100 of the Putnam or similar physics competitions. Even that (being in the top 100) is not very helpful in graduate school admissions, if that is your goal. I think unless you are in the top 15 of the Putnam competition or similar physics competition, it is not really worth focusing on these competitions. As everyone said try to get good grades and a publication.

Msh1 said:
Even that (being in the top 100) is not very helpful in graduate school admissions, if that is your goal. I think unless you are in the top 15 of the Putnam competition or similar physics competition, it is not really worth focusing on these competitions. As everyone said try to get good grades and a publication.

This is something I've wondered about, a few guys I've talked to have said people put their Putnam results onto their resumes and grad schools applications. Does it really have any effect? I've half-thought of writing it, I was able to get a couple of questions when I looked over the one this year, but I don't want to risk getting a 0 haha.

Also, wouldn't top 100 in the Putnam be pretty awesome?

If you do very well on the Putnam, it would help. I've no idea how graduate admissions would view it, but I've heard hedge funds eat those awards up. Also, the wikipedia page for the Putnam says one of the Putnam Fellows gets a scholarship to Harvard, I personally never heard about that, though. I don't know you so I don't know your chances, but I can tell you that the top 5 spots usually people who went to IMO 1 or more times while in high school and the next and most of the next 20 people have similar qualifications.

Personally, I don't expect to win these competitions. I may get to top 100 of the Putnam by senior year if I'm lucky. I will probably never even get to represent my university for ACM. But I still participate in these competitions because they're fun. They are like sports for nerds.

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for physics/math competitions?

To improve your problem-solving skills, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of problems. You can also attend workshops or join study groups to learn from others and gain new perspectives. Additionally, studying fundamental concepts and techniques in physics and math will help you approach problems more effectively.

2. What strategies can I use to manage my time during competitions?

Time management is crucial in competitions. One effective strategy is to read the entire problem and understand what is being asked before attempting to solve it. This will help you avoid wasting time on unnecessary calculations. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and prioritize which steps to focus on first.

3. How important is it to have a strong foundation in math and physics for competitions?

A strong foundation in math and physics is essential for success in competitions. Competitions often involve complex problems that require a deep understanding of fundamental concepts and techniques. Without a strong foundation, it will be difficult to approach and solve these problems effectively.

4. How can I stay motivated and confident during competitions?

Staying motivated and confident during competitions can be challenging, but it is important to remember that mistakes and setbacks are a natural part of the learning process. It may be helpful to set realistic goals for yourself and celebrate your achievements, no matter how small. It can also be beneficial to take breaks and engage in activities outside of studying to maintain a healthy balance.

5. How can I prepare for unexpected or unfamiliar problems in competitions?

While preparing for competitions, it is important to expose yourself to a variety of problems and practice different problem-solving techniques. This will help you become more flexible and adaptable when faced with unexpected or unfamiliar problems during competitions. Additionally, working with others and discussing different approaches can help you learn new strategies and broaden your problem-solving skills.