Wire loop area induction sensor

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using today's electronics to measure a slight change in the inductance of a wire loop. The suggested method is to build an oscillator around the inductor and observe the frequency variation. This would be a feasible option, especially for relative changes in inductance.
flasherffff
Hi, I'm working on an idea and i need some guidance

say i have a wire loop of a single wire (not solenoid) the area of the loop is about 1-2 cm^2
now say i change the area of the loop slightly by about 0.1%-0.01%
could i measure with today's electronics this slight change of L

thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
flasherffff said:
Hi, I'm working on an idea and i need some guidance

say i have a wire loop of a single wire (not solenoid) the area of the loop is about 1-2 cm^2
now say i change the area of the loop slightly by about 0.1%-0.01%
could i measure with today's electronics this slight change of L

thanks in advance

I would say yes, especially if you are looking for a relative change (versus absolute accuracy). What is the application?

Even with yesterday's electronics. Build an oscillator around this inductor, observe the frequency variation. Other parts will need to be stable, and you should limit the coupling of the LC circuit with the rest.

Such a coil is usable at 432Hz. An oscillator built around it would drift by 0.5*432kHz or 0.5*43kHz: very easy to observe, and such a stability is not a miracle.

Related to Wire loop area induction sensor

1. What is a wire loop area induction sensor?

A wire loop area induction sensor is a type of sensor that uses electromagnetic induction to detect changes in magnetic fields. It consists of a wire loop that is connected to an electrical circuit and positioned around the area of interest. When a magnetic field passes through the loop, it induces an electric current in the wire, which can be measured and used to determine the presence or absence of a magnetic field.

2. How does a wire loop area induction sensor work?

A wire loop area induction sensor works by detecting changes in magnetic fields. When a magnetic field passes through the wire loop, it induces an electric current in the wire. This current is then measured by the sensor and can be used to determine the strength and direction of the magnetic field. The sensor can also be used to detect changes in the magnetic field over time, allowing for the measurement of moving objects or changes in the environment.

3. What are the applications of a wire loop area induction sensor?

Wire loop area induction sensors have a variety of applications, including metal detection, proximity sensing, and motion sensing. They are commonly used in security systems, industrial equipment, and scientific research. They can also be used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, for their ability to detect changes in magnetic fields.

4. What are the advantages of using a wire loop area induction sensor?

There are several advantages to using a wire loop area induction sensor. Firstly, they are non-contact sensors, which means they do not need to physically touch the object they are detecting. This makes them ideal for use in harsh environments or with delicate objects. They are also highly sensitive and can detect very small changes in magnetic fields, making them useful for precise measurements. Additionally, they are relatively inexpensive and can be easily integrated into electronic systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a wire loop area induction sensor?

While wire loop area induction sensors have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They are primarily used for detecting changes in magnetic fields and are not suitable for other types of sensing. They also have a limited sensing range and may not be effective for detecting objects that are too far away. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and electromagnetic interference can affect the accuracy of the sensor. Proper calibration and shielding may be necessary to minimize these effects.