Wireless Alternatives to LVDT probes?

In summary, the conversation is about the use of LDVT probes to measure linear displacement, with the main issue being the cumbersome wire and the potential disruptions caused by external machining. The speaker is looking for wireless alternatives that can detect linear motion with high resolution. Two options mentioned are wireless systems for LVDTs from Bently Nevada and Mitutoyo.
tectactoe
Hello there,

I am currently using LDVT probes to measure linear displacement (goes without saying, but I said it anyway). The problem with this is that the wire for the probe is very cumbersome and requires extra machining to external parts in order to accommodate the wire without disruption. Therein, some of the machining may be causing disruption itself!

I typically don't get into the details of the equipment used, though I think it's finally time to start looking at alternatives. Problem is, I don't really know where to begin.

Does anyone know of any wireless alternatives to LVDT probes? Essentially anything wireless that can detect linear motion; the smaller and less cumbersome the better, regardless of price. Preferably with high resolution (able to detect movement on the order of microns).

Thank you everyone.

Engineering news on Phys.org
over how much travel ?

would these do ?

http://www.ge-mcs.com/en/bently-nevada-sensors-and-transducers.html

How about this?
http://motionics.com/products.html?panel1=0&panel2=2
Its a wireless (bluetooth low energy) system for LVDTs. It is compatible with most of the LVDTs (linear gages) from Mitutoyo. Contact me if interested mosenn@gmail.com

Related to Wireless Alternatives to LVDT probes?

1. What is a LVDT probe and why are wireless alternatives being explored?

A LVDT (linear variable differential transformer) probe is a type of sensor used to measure linear displacement or position. It consists of a primary coil, a secondary coil, and a core that moves in response to the measured displacement. Wireless alternatives to LVDT probes are being explored because they eliminate the need for physical connections, making them more convenient and versatile for certain applications.

2. How do wireless alternatives to LVDT probes work?

Wireless alternatives to LVDT probes use radio frequency (RF) technology to transmit data wirelessly. The probe itself contains a miniature RF transmitter that sends signals to a receiver unit, which then converts the signals into a digital output. This allows for remote and non-contact measurements.

3. What are the advantages of using wireless alternatives to LVDT probes?

Wireless alternatives to LVDT probes offer several advantages, including increased flexibility and convenience in measurement applications. They also eliminate the need for physical connections, reducing the risk of damage and wear over time. Additionally, wireless probes can be used in harsh environments or areas that are difficult to access.

4. Are there any limitations to using wireless alternatives to LVDT probes?

While wireless alternatives to LVDT probes offer many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. The range of wireless transmission may be limited, so the receiver unit must be in close proximity to the probe. Additionally, wireless signals may be susceptible to interference from other electronic devices or environmental factors.

5. What industries or applications are best suited for wireless alternatives to LVDT probes?

Wireless alternatives to LVDT probes can be used in a variety of industries and applications, including manufacturing, aerospace, and automotive. They are particularly useful in situations where physical connections are not feasible or when frequent repositioning of the probe is necessary. They are also beneficial for monitoring equipment or structures in remote or hazardous locations.