Wireless communications system

In summary: I was thinking of MIMO with different modulation schemes. And yes, the formula should be 20 x Log2 x (1+S/2). My mistake.
JJgo

Homework Statement

A wireless communications system can achieve a theoretical maximum data rate of 200 Mbps using 16-QAM modulation in a 10 MHz channel and using a single spatial stream. What data rate could theoretically be achieved if the same system used 256-QAM and 8 spatial streams in a 20 MHz channel?

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to multiply the constellations by the number of channels (8) ... but I can not find and understand the correct formula ...
Could you help me find and understand, the mechanism of the formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
JJgo said:
A wireless communications system can achieve a theoretical maximum data rate of 200 Mbps using 16-QAM modulation in a 10 MHz channel and using a single spatial stream.
Sorry, how do you squeeze 200Mbps through a 10MHz channel? I need to go back to school...

Likes phinds, anorlunda and Merlin3189
Yes. I'm very rusty on this, but I'd have thought the Nyquist limit for a noiseless channel should be $$ C = 2 * B * log_2 M $$ where B= 10 Mhz, M=16 so log2(M)=4, giving C= 80 Mb/sec

If the question were possible, I'd have thought they wanted you to use Shannon's formula $$ C = B* log_2 ( 1 + \frac {S}{N} ) $$ to work out the S/N ratio for the channel, then use that to work out the new capacity with the extra bandwidth and different modulation.

But as I say, it's a long time since I did this stuff.
And I'm not sure what they mean by spatial streams.

Maybe you can post some related stuff you've done and the formulae you can't understand?

Many thanks,

unfortunately the question is very general, and without many formula in the book but just description and some example.
The first part of the question was an example:
A wireless communications system can achieve a theoretical maximum data rate of 200 Mbps using 16-QAM modulation in a 10 MHz channel and using a single spatial stream.
The second one, the real question:
What data rate could theoretically be achieved if the same system used 256-QAM and 8 spatial streams in a 20 MHz channel?

But unfortunately if I use your first formula, the result by the first part of the question (example) don't match at all...
:(

Spatial streams generally refers to MIMO techniques, which send different information over spatially independent propagation channels. This requires a modification to Shannon’s capacity formula to include the propagation channel characteristics. Since the OP’s book doesn’t have equations, I won’t confuse things by writing it here.

Edit: If N antennas are used at the transmitter and N at the receiver, then the maximum theoretical increase in capacity over a SISO system is N^2.

It's correct In my case:

C = 20 x Log2 x (1+S/2)

...and S?

marcusl said:
Spatial streams generally refers to MIMO techniques, which send different information over spatially independent propagation channels. This requires a modification to Shannon’s capacity formula to include the propagation channel characteristics. Since the OP’s book doesn’t have equations, I won’t confuse things by writing it here.

Edit: If N antennas are used at the transmitter and N at the receiver, then the maximum theoretical increase in capacity over a SISO system is N^2.
Isn't the Number of spatial channels in MIMO given by $$ N_s ≤ Min( N_t, N_r) $$
implying that for ## for N_t = N_r =N ## then ## N_s ≤ min(N , N ) ≤ N##

So presumably there is no way to say "C= ..." for such a system, only "C≤ ..."

JJgo said:
C = 20 x Log2 x (1+S/2)
Shouldn't this be something more like ## C=20 \times log_2(1 + \frac{S}{2})## ?

I agree the Nyquist formula for maximum potential channel capacity does not match the example data. That was the point of saying it. I'd hoped there might be some detail you'd missed, but apparently not. I hope for someone more recently versed in this to help out.
I'll consult Tannenbaum and see if I can find anything useful, but my recollection is that this was not a major topic up to 3rd Edn.

Isn't the Number of spatial channels in MIMO given by Ns≤Min(Nt,Nr)

Oops, sorry, that's right.

What is a wireless communications system?

A wireless communications system is a type of telecommunication system that uses wireless technology to transmit data, audio, and video signals over a radio frequency spectrum. It allows users to communicate and exchange information without the need for physical wires or cables.

How does a wireless communications system work?

A wireless communications system uses radio waves to transmit and receive data. The system includes a transmitter, which encodes the information into a radio signal, and a receiver, which decodes the signal and converts it back into usable information. The data is transmitted through the air using antennas and can travel long distances.

What are the advantages of using a wireless communications system?

Wireless communications systems offer several advantages, including mobility, flexibility, and cost-effectiveness. Users can access the system from any location without the need for physical wires, making it convenient for on-the-go communication. It also allows for easy scalability and expansion, as additional devices can be easily connected to the system. Additionally, wireless systems often have lower infrastructure costs compared to traditional wired systems.

What are the different types of wireless communications systems?

There are several types of wireless communications systems, including cellular networks, WiFi, Bluetooth, satellite communications, and microwave systems. Each type uses different technologies and operates on different frequencies, but they all serve the purpose of transmitting data wirelessly.

What are the potential security risks of using a wireless communications system?

Wireless communications systems can be vulnerable to security risks, such as eavesdropping, data interception, and unauthorized access. To mitigate these risks, encryption techniques and security protocols are used to protect the data being transmitted. It is important for users to follow security best practices, such as using strong passwords and keeping their devices updated, to ensure the safety of their information.