Wireless power transmission

In summary, for your university mini project competition, you have decided to do wireless power transmission and are seeking guidance on how to proceed. Some options suggested include looking into induction chargers, but it may be difficult to successfully build one. Another option is using powerful microwaves, but it can be dangerous and impractical. It is recommended to consult with professors for ideas and inspiration. As an example, a low latency digital camera for remote control has been mentioned but it is a personal project and not related to the main topic.
somuumos
i have decided to do wireless power transmission for my university mini project competetion. So can anyone clear me how to proceed with it. If possible recommend me a better topic.
many thanks in advance...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look into induction chargers. Warning, it's pretty hard to do. Some classmates tried to build one for their capstone project and it didn't work in the end.

Other options that I know about are a little dangerous and impractical. You could, for example, beam powerful microwaves at a receiver.

Okefenokee said:
Look into induction chargers. Warning, it's pretty hard to do. Some classmates tried to build one for their capstone project and it didn't work in the end.

Other options that I know about are a little dangerous and impractical. You could, for example, beam powerful microwaves at a receiver.

I understand. So can you help me with some reference sites or books. Do you have some other ideas which can prove to be a good model.

I don't know much about induction chargers. It's a simple concept overall though. One coil makes a field and a second coil picks up the field to absorb some power. I imagine that questions of frequencies, circuit topology, and coil size can become complicated if you want to achieve an effective design that will actually do anything useful.

There are commercial models available so someone has worked it out.

Wireless power is going to be hard. Tesla famously failed to come up with a good method to transmit electrical power without wires. I commend you for aiming high but you might want to dial it back a bit. At least try to form a big group to divvy the work.

I recommend that you talk to your professors and ask them what would be useful in their research or what would be useful in their general field. It might give you some inspiration. At my university we had a microP professor who consulted with a firm that did embedded design. He offered to give real technical problems for students to hash out for their final projects.

I'll tell you what I really want. Most high res cameras have a long delay from the time they take a picture to the time they encode and transmit that picture. Decoding in the receiver takes additional time. I want a cheap low latency digital camera so I can put it on a remote controlled car and chase my dogs around my house in real time using my smart phone. It's actually something I've tinkered with but I'm working to much at my real job to make any headway in my side projects.

I'll tell you what I really want. Most high res cameras have a long delay from the time they take a picture to the time they encode and transmit that picture. Decoding in the receiver takes additional time. I want a cheap low latency digital camera so I can put it on a remote controlled car and chase my dogs around my house in real time using my smart phone. It's actually something I've tinkered with but I'm working to much at my real job to make any headway in my side projects.

Have you looked at the GoPro cams ?
They are being used in many real time situations

Dave

Too slow. As much as a 1.5 second delay in a hi-def digital setup.

Analog cameras with analog receivers can be practically instant. Digital cameras are too slow for remote control but they easily interface with devices that you already have like smart phones, computers, and TV's. I stumbled onto this issue when I was looking for a fast digital camera for a remote control project.

I did find a camera that does it's own jpeg encoding. I used that and an RPi running linux to send video to my phone with a delay of about 400ms. I'd like to push it further with a VHDL project and get it below 100ms.

I'm happy to answer your question but let's not fill Somuumos' thread with talk of my silly camera project. It was just an off-hand comment.

1. What is wireless power transmission?

Wireless power transmission is the transfer of electrical energy from one point to another without the use of wires or cables. It involves the use of electromagnetic fields to transfer the energy through the air.

2. How does wireless power transmission work?

Wireless power transmission works by using two main components: a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter converts electrical energy into electromagnetic waves and sends them through the air. The receiver then captures these waves and converts them back into electrical energy, which can be used to power devices.

3. What are the advantages of wireless power transmission?

Wireless power transmission offers several advantages, including convenience, safety, and efficiency. It eliminates the need for wires and cables, making it more convenient to use and reducing clutter. It also eliminates the risk of electric shock from exposed wires, making it safer. Additionally, wireless power transmission can be more energy-efficient as there is no energy loss through wires.

4. What are the potential applications of wireless power transmission?

Wireless power transmission has the potential to revolutionize various industries, including healthcare, transportation, and consumer electronics. It can be used to power medical implants, charge electric vehicles, and enable wireless charging of smartphones and other devices.

5. Are there any drawbacks to wireless power transmission?

One of the main drawbacks of wireless power transmission is the limited range and efficiency. The energy transfer decreases as the distance between the transmitter and receiver increases. Additionally, there are concerns about potential health risks from exposure to electromagnetic fields. Further research and development are needed to address these challenges and make wireless power transmission a viable option for widespread use.