Wires in an circuit, different materials, heat

In summary, the problem involves an electric circuit with copper wires and a lead fuse that melts when the copper wire temperature increases by 25C. The specific heat and specific electrical resistances of the materials are given, along with the melting point and latent heat of lead. The task is to find the cross section area of the lead fuse wire. The equations that may be useful in solving the problem are Q=cmΔt, Q=λm, and R=lρ/S. Further clarification and direction is needed in order to solve the problem.
Regla

Homework Statement

In an electric circuit, consisting of copper wires with cross section area of Sc=5mm2 and a temperature of t=25C, a lead fuse is added melting when the copper wire temperature increases by Δt=25C. Find the cross section area of the lead fuse wire Sl=x.
specific heat: cc=400J/kg*C cl=140J/kg*C.
Lead melting point tl=327C, latent heat λ=25000J/kg.
Specific electrical resistances of the materials: ρc=0,017*10-6Ωm, ρl=0,21*10-6Ωm.
material density: ρc1=8,9*103kg/m3, ρl1=11,34*103kg/m3.

Homework Equations

Q=cmΔt
Q=λm
R=lρ/S

Thank you for any ideas on how to solve this, if there is something confusing please ask, this equation is translated from a different language so there may be inaccuracies and such.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't erase the part 3. Attempt at solution. We can't help if you don't post that...

I was asking for ideas, directions to try going towards, I'm not asking people to solve it. Anyway, I was thinking about Q1=Q2 Q1=ccm1Δt Q2=cl(tl-t). But I don't know the masses nor anything derivative from it since I need to find the cross section area.

1. What is the purpose of wires in an electric circuit?

Wires are used to carry electric current from one component to another within a circuit. They provide a path for the flow of electrons, allowing the circuit to function properly.

2. How do different materials affect the performance of a wire in a circuit?

The conductivity of a wire depends on the material it is made of. Materials like copper and aluminum are good conductors because they allow electrons to flow easily. Other materials may have higher resistance, which can cause the wire to heat up and potentially affect the performance of the circuit.

3. Why is heat generation a concern in circuits?

Heat is generated in a circuit when the flow of current encounters resistance. This can cause wires to heat up, which may lead to melting or damage to components. Excessive heat can also decrease the efficiency and lifespan of a circuit.

4. How can heat be managed in an electric circuit?

Heat can be managed by using wires with a larger diameter, which have lower resistance and can handle more current without heating up. Additionally, using materials with higher conductivity can reduce heat generation. Proper ventilation and cooling methods can also help dissipate heat in a circuit.

5. Can the type of wire used in a circuit affect its overall performance?

Yes, the type of wire used can have a significant impact on the performance of a circuit. Factors such as material, gauge, and insulation can affect the resistance, current capacity, and heat generation of a wire, which can ultimately impact the overall functionality and efficiency of the circuit.

Back