With which forces and why spring acts on two bodies

In summary, the conversation discusses the force exerted by a spring on two bodies of different masses. The equation for this force is given as kx, but it is not clear why the force is the same on both bodies and not divided by their masses. The concept of Newton's Third Law is brought up to explain this phenomenon, where the spring exerts a force on one body, which then pushes back on the spring and transfers that force to the other body. Ultimately, this confusion stems from the fact that a tension or compression is not just one force, but a pair of equal and opposite forces.
harmyder

Homework Statement

Suppose we have spring which is between two bodies of different mass, with which force spring will act on every of them?

Homework Equations

Spring acts on a body with force [itex]kx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A-/\/\/\/\/\/\/\-B
Suppose body A has mass 2kg and body B has mass 1kg, i think spring will act on body A with force [itex]kx[/itex] and on body B with the same force, but i don't understand why? Why not [itex]kx/2[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
harmyder said:
Suppose body A has mass 2kg and body B has mass 1kg, i think spring will act on body A with force ##kx## and on body B with the same force, but i don't understand why? Why not ##kx/2##?

I think Newton's Third Law explains this. The spring exerts a force ##kx## on ##B## and in turn, ##B## exerts a force ##-kx## on the spring. Then the spring transfers that force ##-kx## to ##A##, and in turn, ##A## pushes back on the spring with the force ##kx## which gets transferred to ##B## and so on and so forth. Can someone correct me on this or explain this more clearly so that he can understand?

Last edited:
Likes harmyder
There is not enough information given in the problem statement for any definite answer to be arrived at .

Nidum said:
There is not enough information given in the problem statement for any definite answer to be arrived at .
Sorry, what additional information should i provide?

Eclair_de_XII said:
I think Newton's Third Law explains this. The spring exerts a force ##kx## on ##B## and in turn, ##B## exerts a force ##-kx## on the spring. Then the spring transfers that force ##-kx## to ##A##, and in turn, ##A## pushes back on the spring with the force ##kx## which gets transferred to ##B## and so on and so forth. Can someone correct me on this or explain this more clearly so that he can understand?
Looks right to me.
This confuses many students. The root of that, in my view, is that a tension (or compression) is not so much a force as a pair of equal and opposite forces.

Likes harmyder

Related to With which forces and why spring acts on two bodies

What is the concept of spring force?

Spring force is a type of conservative force that arises due to the deformation of a spring. It is a restoring force, meaning that it always acts to bring the spring back to its original shape.

How does spring force act on two bodies?

Spring force acts on two bodies when they are connected by a spring. The spring will exert equal and opposite forces on the two bodies, pulling them towards each other.

What factors determine the strength of spring force?

The strength of spring force depends on the stiffness of the spring (measured by its spring constant), the distance the spring is stretched or compressed, and the direction of the force relative to the spring's axis.

Why is spring force considered a conservative force?

Spring force is considered a conservative force because the work done by or against it only depends on the initial and final positions of the objects, not the path taken. This means that the total mechanical energy of the system is conserved.

What are some real-life examples of spring force?

Spring force can be observed in many everyday objects, such as trampolines, door hinges, and shock absorbers. It is also a key component in devices like car suspensions, pogo sticks, and spring scales.