Word force and friction problem

In summary, the conversation discusses pulling a sled with a total mass of 25kg, including a cousin who weighs 10kg, across the snow at an angle of 50 degrees with respect to the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction between the sled and the snow is given as 0.2 and a force of 200N is applied. The question asks to find the acceleration of the sled with and without friction. The person involved is able to find the answers but has a question regarding the weight of the sled when finding the acceleration. It is clarified that the weight of both the sled and the cousin should be added when calculating the acceleration.
pyroknife

Homework Statement

I am pulling my cousin who has a mass of 10kg, geets all bundled up and sits in the sled, which has a mass of 15kg. He yells ready,set,go and I start to pull him across the snow. I am pulling the sled at an angle of 50degrees with respect to the horizontal. Assume that the coefficient of static friction between the sled and the snow is Ms=.2 if I pull him across the snow with a force of 200N, fine the following values.

A) Find the acceleration of my cousin and the sled without friction
B)find acceleration with friction included

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to start this out by showing an attempt and explaining what is confusing you about the problem or by giving some appropriate formulas and explaining why you can't even start.

I can find the answers, but I have a question about finding the acceleration of the cart. When it asks me to find the acceleration of the car with the cousin inside it does that mean the carts weight+kids weight?

You are pulling both the kid and the sled. Yes, add their masses.

1. What is the definition of word force and friction problem?

Word force and friction problem refers to a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and the frictional forces that may affect its motion.

2. How do you identify the forces involved in a word force and friction problem?

The forces involved in a word force and friction problem can be identified by drawing a free body diagram of the object and labeling all the external forces acting on it, including weight, normal force, and any applied or frictional forces.

3. What is the role of friction in a word force and friction problem?

Friction plays a crucial role in a word force and friction problem as it can either help or hinder the motion of an object. Frictional forces can cause an object to slow down or come to a stop, while in some cases, it can also provide the necessary force to initiate motion.

4. How do you calculate the net force in a word force and friction problem?

The net force in a word force and friction problem can be calculated by adding up all the external forces acting on the object. The direction of the net force will determine the direction of the object's acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of word force and friction problems?

Some real-life examples of word force and friction problems include pushing a heavy object across a rough surface, sliding down a hill on a sled, or stopping a car on a slippery road. These situations require an understanding of the forces involved and how friction affects the object's motion.