Work and force: frictionless rollercoaster

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum speed of a frictionless rollercoaster at the top of a vertical loop with a radius of 6.0m. The student attempted to use the equations of motion but is unsure of which one to use. The other person suggests looking into the concept of centripetal acceleration and suggests self-studying or searching online for more information on circular motion.
yvonne1313

Homework Statement

A frictionless rollercoaster does a vertical loop with a radius of 6.0m.
a) what is the minimum speed that the roller coaster must have at the top of the loop so that it stays in touch with the rail?

Homework Equations

2∏r should be used for the circumference but i don't know which equation of motion to use, v=u+gt/ v=u+at

The Attempt at a Solution

i worked out the circumference to be 37,70m but I am stuck with that and don't know what to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
is there enough info, or is there something missing?

Hi yvonne1313! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

For circular motion: what equation do you know involving centripetal acceleration?

Last edited by a moderator:
i only know the energy conservation approach, i think that's what its called, with the equations of motion, w=f.s, ep=mgh, ek=0.5mv^2

It sounds like you might have missed the lessons on circular motion. :frown:

So you'll have to self-study that chapter in your textbook, or now that I've told you some terms to look for, try the web alternative: http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/5412/thgooglefriend1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Work and force: frictionless rollercoaster

1. What is a frictionless rollercoaster?

A frictionless rollercoaster is a type of rollercoaster that operates without the presence of friction. This means that there is no resistance or force acting against the movement of the rollercoaster, allowing it to move smoothly and efficiently.

2. How does a frictionless rollercoaster work?

A frictionless rollercoaster works by utilizing a combination of forces such as gravity, momentum, and inertia. These forces work together to keep the rollercoaster moving without any resistance from friction.

3. What are the benefits of a frictionless rollercoaster?

The main benefit of a frictionless rollercoaster is the smooth and efficient movement it provides. This allows for a more thrilling and enjoyable ride experience for passengers. Additionally, a frictionless rollercoaster requires less maintenance and decreases the amount of wear and tear on the track and cars.

4. How is friction accounted for in the design of a frictionless rollercoaster?

In the design of a frictionless rollercoaster, engineers must take into account the potential energy and kinetic energy of the rollercoaster, as well as the angle and height of the track. By carefully considering these factors, they can create a track layout that minimizes the potential for friction and maximizes the energy and momentum of the rollercoaster.

5. Are all rollercoasters frictionless?

No, not all rollercoasters are frictionless. Traditional rollercoasters rely on friction to slow down and control the movement of the cars. However, some modern rollercoasters, such as magnetic or hydraulic coasters, use alternative methods to create a frictionless experience for riders.