How is the minimum work needed to push a car up an inclined plane calculated?

In summary, the minimum work needed to push a 1000-kg car 300 m up a 17.5 degree incline, ignoring friction, is equal to mgsin17.5*300, where m is the mass of the car and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This is because the net force on the car must be zero for the minimum work to be achieved, and the force required to overcome the incline is equal to the component of the car's weight acting along the incline.
Abu

Homework Statement

What is the minimum work needed to push a 1000-kg car 300 m up a 17.5 degree incline?
A. Ignore friction
B. Assume the coefficient of friction is 0.25

Homework Equations

W = F*d
Net force = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I did:
Work = F*300*cos17.6
but I later realized that the force and distance are both in the same direction, thus the angle would be 0
So that means that the new formula is Work = ma*300... but what is a? Acceleration is equal to force applied minus force of friction divided by mass, but the force applied is not known, and for part A friction is not included.

So I've already looked at other solutions and I found the answer, but I don't understand why it is done this way. Basically the minimum work is equal to mg*300sin17.5.

My question is how come this equation is used instead? Is the work that it takes to lift the car straight upwards the height of the incline equal to the work that it takes to push the car all the way up the inclined, and if so, how come?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Abu said:
So that means that the new formula is Work = ma*300... but what is a?
It's better to forget about acceleration and just use the forces. The car experiences a downward force equal to its weight, which is mg. Then we need to draw a vector diagram and split that vertical downwards force into two components, one parallel to the slope and one perpendicular (normal) to it. The normal component is canceled out by the slope pushing back against the car, leaving the parallel force, which is the one you need to multiply by the distance traveled along the slope.

Abu said:
Is the work that it takes to lift the car straight upwards the height of the incline equal to the work that it takes to push the car all the way up the inclined, and if so, how come?
In part A the answer is Yes, because we ignore friction and air resistance and those are the only differences between the work in the two approaches. In part (b) the answer will be No. But I don't know what they expect for part B since rolling motion - which is what the car is doing - is much more complex than sliding motion, so more is needed than just a coefficient of friction. They should have made it a sled rather than a car.

Likes Abu
Abu said:
Work = ma*300
That equation is wrong.
The work done by a given force Fapp is Fapp*d cos(θ), while the acceleration a satisfies Fnet=ΣF=ma. The applied force Fapp is only one of the contributors to ΣF.
In this problem, you do not need the vehicle to have any residual velocity at the top, so the acceleration can be made arbitrarily small. It becomes, almost, a statics problem, ΣF=0. So what does Fapp equal? (Different answers for parts A and B.)

Likes Abu
haruspex said:
That equation is wrong.
The work done by a given force Fapp is Fapp*d cos(θ), while the acceleration a satisfies Fnet=ΣF=ma. The applied force Fapp is only one of the contributors to ΣF.
In this problem, you do not need the vehicle to have any residual velocity at the top, so the acceleration can be made arbitrarily small. It becomes, almost, a statics problem, ΣF=0. So what does Fapp equal? (Different answers for parts A and B.)

Oh okay, so let me see if I got this right . Since it is asking for the minimum work, thus the minimum force needed, the net force is zero because any extra force will only contribute to making the car move faster.

So for net force to be zero, the force applied must be equal to the resistant force, which is the component of gravity acting along the incline, which is mgsintheta. so that means force applied equals mgsintheta, and when multiplied by the distance, the formula is Work = mgsin17.5*300.

Am I correct? Thank you.

Abu said:
Oh okay, so let me see if I got this right . Since it is asking for the minimum work, thus the minimum force needed, the net force is zero because any extra force will only contribute to making the car move faster.

So for net force to be zero, the force applied must be equal to the resistant force, which is the component of gravity acting along the incline, which is mgsintheta. so that means force applied equals mgsintheta, and when multiplied by the distance, the formula is Work = mgsin17.5*300.

Am I correct? Thank you.
Yes.

1. What is work done at an angle?

Work done at an angle is the amount of energy that is expended by a force when it acts on an object at an angle, resulting in the displacement of the object.

2. How is the work done at an angle calculated?

The work done at an angle is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force and then multiplying by the cosine of the angle between the force and the displacement.

3. What is the difference between work done at an angle and work done in the same direction?

Work done at an angle involves a force acting on an object at an angle, resulting in the displacement of the object. Work done in the same direction involves a force acting on an object in the same direction as its displacement.

4. How does the angle between the force and displacement affect the work done?

The angle between the force and displacement affects the work done by changing the amount of force that is actually used to move the object. The work done is highest when the force and displacement are in the same direction (angle of 0 degrees) and lowest when they are perpendicular (angle of 90 degrees).

5. What are some real-life examples of work done at an angle?

Some real-life examples of work done at an angle include pushing a box up a ramp, lifting a suitcase into an airplane's overhead compartment, and pushing a lawn mower across a sloped lawn.