Work done by pushing a proton into the sphere with non-uniform charge

In summary: I'd start by invoking Coulomb's law and deducing field strength from enclosed total charge and radius. Then I'd integrate field strength from zero to R to get the change in potential between those limits.
Mr_Pu
Homework Statement
There is a sphere, with radius r and charge density ρ(r) = B/r. This sphere has a small hole drill through the middle. How much work is done by pushing the proton from the edge of a sphere to the center, through that hole.
Relevant Equations
e = ∫ρ dV
U = e/ 4πεr
W = eU
I have already calculated full charge inside the sphere: e = ∫ρ dV = 2πBr^2
And I know that electric potential on the edge of the sphere is: U = e/ 4πεr

The idea is that I calculate work by the change of electric potential energy, but to do that, I have to calculate electric potential energy in the middle as well. And then I also don't know how exactly a proton is affected by that.

Physics news on Phys.org
You understand, I expect, that the potential at the edge of the sphere is calculated as an integral of field strength on a path running from infinity to the edge of the sphere. Of course, that integral has been worked for you, it is printed in the physics textbook. It has become one of the standard tools in your bag.

The problem at hand has a field strength that does not take the form of an inverse square. The canned formula from your bag of tricks won't get you the rest of the way from the edge of the sphere to its center.

So build a new formula.

You have the tools you need for that -- you've already calculated the total charge contained in a sphere of radius r.

Likes etotheipi
jbriggs444 said:
You understand, I expect, that the potential at the edge of the sphere is calculated as an integral of field strength on a path running from infinity to the edge of the sphere. Of course, that integral has been worked for you, it is printed in the physics textbook. It has become one of the standard tools in your bag.

The problem at hand has a field strength that does not take the form of an inverse square. The canned formula from your bag of tricks won't get you the rest of the way from the edge of the sphere to its center.

So build a new formula.

You have the tools you need for that -- you've already calculated the total charge contained in a sphere of radius r.

However, the thing that troubles me, is that in the middle the density of charge limits to infinity and I'm not sure how to build out a formula for that.

Mr_Pu said:
However, the thing that troubles me, is that in the middle the density of charge limits to infinity and I'm not sure how to build out a formula for that.
It is good that you are concerned. But the things that enter into a formula for field strength are total enclosed charge and radius. Does the field strength diverge as the center is approached?

And even if it does, does the path integral diverge as one evaluates it with an inner limit closer and closer to the center?

jbriggs444 said:
It is good that you are concerned. But the things that enter into a formula for field strength are total enclosed charge and radius. Does the field strength diverge as the center is approached?

And even if it does, does the path integral diverge as one evaluates it with an inner limit closer and closer to the center?

I think it doesn't.

Likes jbriggs444
Mr_Pu said:
I think it doesn't.
I agree. I think you'll find that things cancel agreeably.

jbriggs444 said:
I agree. I think you'll find that things cancel agreeably.
When I compute the integral for electric field inside a sphere ∫E dS = ∫ de / ε I get that E = 2B(r^2 - R^2)/r^2 which doesn't make any sense to me, since when R = 0, E is just 2B

Mr_Pu said:
When I compute the integral for electric field inside a sphere ∫E dS = ∫ de / ε I get that E = 2B(r^2 - R^2)/r^2 which doesn't make any sense to me, since when R = 0, E is just 2B
Can you show your work? I do not get anything of the sort.

jbriggs444 said:
Can you show your work? I do not get anything of the sort.
E dS = de/ε --> E ∫2πrdr = ∫(B/r ⋅ 4πr^2 dr)/ε --> Eπr^2 = 2πB(r^2 - R^2) --> E = 2B(r^2 - R^2)/r^2

Mr_Pu said:
E dS = de/ε --> E ∫2πrdr = ∫(B/r ⋅ 4πr^2 dr)/ε --> Eπr^2 = 2πB(r^2 - R^2) --> E = 2B(r^2 - R^2)/r^2
Can you justify that very first equality? You have a potential (##E##) multiplied by a displacement (##dS##) on the left. What does that denote? Do you not want a field strength times an incremental displacement? Or a potential divided by an incremental displacement?

Personally, I'd start by invoking Coulomb's law and deducing field strength from enclosed total charge and radius. Then I'd integrate field strength from zero to R to get the change in potential between those limits.

jbriggs444 said:
Can you justify that very first equality? You have a potential (##E##) multiplied by a displacement (##dS##) on the left. What does that denote? Do you not want a field strength times an incremental displacement? Or a potential divided by an incremental displacement?

Personally, I'd start by invoking Coulomb's law and deducing field strength from enclosed total charge and radius. Then I'd integrate field strength from zero to R to get the change in potential between those limits.

Can you please show your work, I'm kind of lost here.

Mr_Pu said:
I don't understand.
Well, let's start with enclosed total charge in a sphere of radius r. You derived that in post #1.

Given the charge in that sphere then Newton's spherical shell theorem has something to say about the effect of that charge distribution. And Coulombs law has something to say about the force on a 1 unit test charge at radius r outside such a charge distribution.

Can you write a formula for that?

Perhaps we should clarify some symbols. The problem statement completely bollixed that part up. The complete spherical distribution has radius "##R##" (not ##r##). We are considering the electrostatic force on a unit charge at radius "##r##" (not ##R##) somewhere in the interior of that distribution.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
Well, let's start with enclosed total charge in a sphere of radius r. You derived that in post #1.

Given the charge in that sphere then Newton's spherical shell theorem has something to say about the effect of that charge distribution. And Coulombs law has something to say about the force on a 1 unit test charge at radius r outside such a charge distribution.

Perhaps we should clarify some symbols. The problem statement completely bollixed that part up. The complete spherical distribution has radius "##R##" (not ##r##). We are considering the electrostatic force on a unit charge at radius "##r##" (not ##R##) somewhere in the interior of that distribution.
jbriggs444 said:

So if I understand correctly, I should write the Coloumbs law, for the charge distributed on a sphere and then limit that to r=0?

Mr_Pu said:
Homework Statement::

I have already calculated full charge inside the sphere: e = ∫ρ dV = 2πBr^2
And I know that electric potential on the edge of the sphere is: U = e/ 4πεr

The idea is that I calculate work by the change of electric potential energy, but to do that, I have to calculate electric potential energy in the middle as well. And then I also don't know how exactly a proton is affected by that.
You are on the right track. You have already calculated U at the sphere's edge. Why not calculate it at its center? Then,use your formula for ## \Delta W ## assuming you know the atomic number of the proton.

1. What is work done by pushing a proton into the sphere with non-uniform charge?

The work done by pushing a proton into a sphere with non-uniform charge is the amount of energy required to move the proton from its initial position to its final position inside the sphere. This work is equal to the change in potential energy of the proton.

2. How is the work calculated?

The work done by pushing a proton into the sphere with non-uniform charge can be calculated using the formula W = qΔV, where q is the charge of the proton and ΔV is the change in potential energy. This formula takes into account the force exerted on the proton and the distance it is moved.

3. What factors affect the work done by pushing a proton into the sphere?

The work done by pushing a proton into the sphere with non-uniform charge is affected by the magnitude of the charge on the proton, the strength of the electric field, and the distance the proton is moved. It is also affected by the distribution of charge within the sphere, as a non-uniform charge distribution will result in a varying electric field.

4. How does the work done vary with the distance the proton is moved?

The work done by pushing a proton into the sphere with non-uniform charge is directly proportional to the distance the proton is moved. This means that as the distance increases, the work done also increases. This is because the force exerted on the proton by the electric field decreases as the distance increases, so more work is required to overcome this force.

5. What is the significance of work done by pushing a proton into the sphere with non-uniform charge?

The work done by pushing a proton into the sphere with non-uniform charge is an important concept in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. It helps us understand the relationship between force, energy, and distance, and is crucial in many applications such as in the design of electronic devices and in the study of atomic and molecular physics.