Work Done: Comparing Elevator & Staircase Climbs

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment on calculating work and how it is affected by different methods of traveling. The question of whether two people with the same weight going to the top of a building using different methods have the same work done is raised. The answer according to handouts is yes, but the conversation delves into the understanding of work and how it is affected by different factors. The conclusion is that while the work done may appear to be the same, there are other factors to consider such as the weight of the elevator in the second scenario. Ultimately, the concept of work and its general definition are emphasized.
SimpleAsker
So we did an experiment calculating work (w=fd) by 1)running and 2)walking upstairs and it turns out that running and walking the same distace(d) with the same weight(f) makes the work done also the same. It later on becomes different when it comes to talking about power but for now let's stick to work for now.

then this problem was mentioned:

Two persons with the same weight went to the top of a same building. One climbed using a spiral staircase and the other one used an elevator. Did the two person have the same work done?(just a simple analysis type question)

Our handouts (done by my school) says that the answer was yes, they both did the same work.

Now, I do not understand because for me, the one who exerted more work was the one who climbed using the stairs simply because that person lifted his own weight going to the top of the building thus he is the one doing work. On the other hand, the other person was lifted by an elevator meaning the elevator was the one who did the work.
Also , if work is going to be computed, isn't that the person who used the elevator is not just the weight to be computed but also the weight of the elevator since the elevator went up the building with him? Therefore I think that they don't have the same work done.

Of course all of this is just something based on my understanding and I don't have the courage to go against my instructor and handouts unless I have some valid or legit proof. But I'm not good with physics so I can't explain it properly.
I don't mind being wrong, however I would just want to be enlightened xD.

Physics news on Phys.org
The one I think you have to accentuate is what is doing work, and you should realize the general definition of work: ##\int_{\Gamma} \vec{F}\cdot\vec{dl}.## Can you use these to clear what get you confused above?
Incidentally, one declaration is confirmed that the amount of the change of their "gravitational potential energy" is identical, for they have the same weight and have the same displacement parallel to the direction of the gravity.

SimpleAsker said:
Two persons with the same weight went to the top of a same building. One climbed using a spiral staircase and the other one used an elevator. Did the two person have the same work done?(just a simple analysis type question)

Our handouts (done by my school) says that the answer was yes, they both did the same work.
First part of quote - the question asks - ' Did they have the same work done ? ( I believe , on them ) ' .

So yes - they did . In the first case , the muscular energy of the body is changed into gravitational potential energy , and in the second , the normal from the elevator does work on the man , thus causing change in his gravitational potential energy .

Second part - Are you sure it says they both did the same work ?

1. What is the concept of work done?

The concept of work done is the amount of energy expended by an object or system in order to achieve a certain task or movement. It is measured in joules (J) and is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance traveled.

2. How is work done different when comparing elevator and staircase climbs?

Work done is different when comparing elevator and staircase climbs because they involve different types of energy. In an elevator, work is done by converting electrical energy into potential energy as it lifts the person to a higher floor. In a staircase climb, work is done by converting the person's chemical energy into kinetic energy as they move their muscles to walk up the stairs.

3. Which requires more work: taking an elevator or climbing stairs?

Climbing stairs requires more work because it involves using the body's muscles to lift the weight of the body against gravity. This requires more energy expenditure compared to an elevator, where the person is simply being lifted by the elevator's mechanisms.

4. How does the distance affect the amount of work done?

The distance traveled directly affects the amount of work done. The farther an object or person has to move, the more work is required. This is because the distance is a factor in the calculation of work (Work = Force x Distance). The longer the distance, the more work is needed to cover that distance.

5. What other factors can affect the amount of work done in an elevator or staircase climb?

Apart from distance, other factors that can affect the amount of work done in an elevator or staircase climb include the weight of the person, the speed at which they are traveling, and the efficiency of the elevator or staircase. For example, a heavier person will require more work to be done to lift them in an elevator or climb the stairs, and a faster speed will also require more work as the distance is covered in a shorter amount of time.