Work done isothermal, adiabatic ideal gas

In summary: ENDMENT:In summary, the problem statement involves an ideal gas with an initial pressure of 1 atm and a volume of 5L. For part (a), the work done on the gas is calculated by integrating the ideal gas equation and is found to be 7.618T. In part (b), the work done during a reversible adiabatic compression to a volume of 2L is calculated using the adiabatic condition and assuming a monatomic ideal gas. However, the value for ##\gamma = \frac{C_p}{C_v}## is needed to determine the final pressure and temperature.
Samuelriesterer
Problem statement, work done, and relevant equations:

One mole of ideal gas is initially at 1 atm and has a volume of 5L.

a) Calculate the work done on the gas during an isothermal, reversible compression to a volume of 2L.

##W_isothermal = - \int_{v_i}^{v_f} p dv = - \int_{v_I}^{v_f} \frac{nRT}{V} dV = -nRT \int_{v_I}^{v_f} \frac{1}{V} dV = -nRT ln \frac{V_I}{V_f} = -(1 mol)(8.314 \frac{J}{molK})T ln \frac{.005 m^3}{.002 m^3} = 7.618T##

b) Calculate the work done during a reversible adiabatic compression to 2L.

##P_i = \frac{nRT_I}{V} → T_i = \frac{V_I P_i}{nR} = \frac{(.005 m^3)(101300 Pa)}{(1 mol)(8.314 \frac{J}{molK})} = 60.92 K##

I think I'm a little stuck here because the problem statement does not give me whether its a monatomic or diatomic gas in order to get the ##\frac{C_p}{C_v}## value. Is there something I'm not seeing?

c) What are the final pressures for (a) and (b)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Samuelriesterer said:
a) Calculate the work done on the gas during an isothermal, reversible compression to a volume of 2L.

##W_isothermal = - \int_{v_i}^{v_f} p dv = - \int_{v_I}^{v_f} \frac{nRT}{V} dV = -nRT \int_{v_I}^{v_f} \frac{1}{V} dV = -nRT ln \frac{V_I}{V_f} = -(1 mol)(8.314 \frac{J}{molK})T ln \frac{.005 m^3}{.002 m^3} = 7.618T##

b) Calculate the work done during a reversible adiabatic compression to 2L.

##P_i = \frac{nRT_I}{V} → T_i = \frac{V_I P_i}{nR} = \frac{(.005 m^3)(101300 Pa)}{(1 mol)(8.314 \frac{J}{molK})} = 60.92 K##

I think I'm a little stuck here because the problem statement does not give me whether its a monatomic or diatomic gas in order to get the ##\frac{C_p}{C_v}## value. Is there something I'm not seeing?
The first part is correct and your determination of ##T_i## is correct, assuming you have done the arithmetic properly. You do need to know the value for ##\gamma = \frac{C_p}{C_v}## in order to calculate the adiabatic work and the final pressure and temperature (applying the adiabatic condition). I would suggest that you assume a true ideal gas (monatomic).

AM

Q: What is work done in an isothermal process for an ideal gas?

The work done in an isothermal process for an ideal gas is equal to the change in internal energy of the gas. This means that the work done is zero, since the internal energy remains constant in an isothermal process.

Q: How does work done in an isothermal process differ from an adiabatic process for an ideal gas?

In an isothermal process, the temperature of the gas remains constant, while in an adiabatic process, there is no heat exchange between the gas and its surroundings. This means that in an adiabatic process for an ideal gas, the work done is equal to the change in internal energy, while in an isothermal process it is equal to zero.

Q: Can work be done on an ideal gas in an isothermal process?

No, work cannot be done on an ideal gas in an isothermal process. This is because the temperature of the gas remains constant, meaning there is no change in internal energy and therefore no work is done.

Q: How does the work done in an isothermal process affect the pressure and volume of an ideal gas?

In an isothermal process, the pressure and volume of an ideal gas are inversely proportional. This means that as the volume of the gas increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa. Since the work done is zero in an isothermal process, there is no change in the pressure and volume of the gas.

Q: Is the work done in an isothermal process reversible or irreversible?

The work done in an isothermal process is reversible. This means that the process can be reversed and the gas can return to its initial state without any energy loss. This is because the temperature remains constant, allowing for a reversible exchange of heat and work.