Work done on a magnetic dipole (compass needle rotating)

In summary, you rotated the compass needle in the plane of the compass to find the amount of work needed to rotate it by 180 degrees.
Ugnius
Homework Statement
Compass needle magnetic dipole moment is 4mA*m^2 , in the location of the compass Earth's magnetic field is 55 microteslas , and pointing north and downwards at 48 degree angle with compass needle. What amount of work is needed to turn compass needle from pointing North to South?
Relevant Equations
1636674100940.png
So this is a sketch I made of the situation

and this is my approach

1636674155667.png
my approach is incorrect , and Idon't seem to find the mistake , maybe B*p isn't correct. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
On this one, you need to work in the x-y plane: The ## B ## that generates the torque in the direction of interest lies in the x-y plane. (Calling north as the positive x-axis and and west as the positive y-axis, the ## B ## of interest is ## B_x ##). The torque is proportional to ## \sin{\theta} ##, and the work is ##\int \tau_o \sin{\theta} \, d \theta ##, where ## \tau_o ## is the value for ## \theta=90 ## degrees. (Note: The axis of rotation is the z-axis. The ## B_z ## that you computed will not cause any torque in the z-direction=that is why your calculation doesn't work).

Edit: Note: The problem can also be worked as a rotation about the y-axis, but you will find that the ## B_z ## has a null effect, with the y component of the torque being in opposite directions as the dipole moment passes through the z-axis. Once again it is ##B_x ## that determines how much work is needed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Ugnius and Delta2
Charles Link said:
On this one, you need to work in the x-y plane: The ## B ## that generates the torque in the direction of interest lies in the x-y plane. (Calling north as the positive x-axis and and west as the positive y-axis, the ## B ## of interest is ## B_x ##). The torque is proportional to ## \sin{\theta} ##, and the work is ##\int \tau_o \sin{\theta} \, d \theta ##, where ## \tau_o ## is the value for ## \theta=90 ## degrees. (Note: The axis of rotation is the z-axis. The ## B_z ## that you computed will not cause any torque in the z-direction=that is why your calculation doesn't work).

Edit: Note: The problem can also be worked as a rotation about the y-axis, but you will find that the ## B_z ## has a null effect, with the y component of the torque being in opposite directions as the dipole moment passes through the z-axis. Once again it is ##B_x ## that determines how much work is needed.
Sorry , but I didn't managed to understand. Can you maybe explain a bit simpler?

The problem is telling you that the Earth's magnetic field vector at the location of the needle has a magnetic dip angle of 48° below the xy-plane. The needle is constrained to move in the xy-plane. Initially, it is aligned with the horizontal component of the magnetic field, Bh which is less than the magnitude of 55 μT. (What is the value of Bh?) You are asked to find how much work you need to do on the needle in order to rotate it by 180° in the xy-plane. It's easier to use energy considerations instead of torques. What is the potential energy of a magnetic moment in a magnetic field?

Likes Ugnius and Charles Link
1636828030297.png
Yes , I have calculated x projection of Magnetic field, and calculated the torque , but I don't know what method to use to calculate the work.

Ugnius said:
Yes , I have calculated x projection of Magnetic field, and calculated the torque , but I don't know what method to use to calculate the work.
I pointed that out in post #4.
kuruman said:
It's easier to use energy considerations instead of torques. What is the potential energy of a magnetic moment in a magnetic field?

Likes Ugnius
isn't E = τ*θ , θ being the dip angle?

Ugnius said:
isn't E = τ*θ , θ being the dip angle?
Nope. Read about magnetic potential energy here.

Likes Ugnius
kuruman said:
Nope. Read about magnetic potential energy here.
I see , and should I use the full magnetic field , or just the x projection ?

Ugnius said:
I see , and should I use the full magnetic field , or just the x projection ?
Do it both ways and see if it matters. Be careful with the "before" and "after" angles in each case.

Likes Ugnius and Charles Link
The energy ## E=-m \cdot B ## is the easier way to do this, but it can be useful to know where this formula comes from, and ## W=\int \tau \, d \theta ## is basically the same result as the energy formula in what may be a not-so-obvious form.

In post 2 above, I pointed out that you can consider the rotation to be about the z-axis or the y-axis, and you get the same answer. It's much easier to just consider energy though, as others have pointed out.

Note: You can rotate the compass needle in the plane of the compass or rotate out of that plane=the needle still winds up in the same final position. The energy difference is the same regardless of the path you take.

Last edited:
Likes Ugnius
Thank you guys , I solved it , and answer seems to be correct. Couldn't have done it without your help!

Likes PhDeezNutz, Charles Link and kuruman
Please show how u did it, because i have the same task

1. How is work done on a magnetic dipole calculated?

The work done on a magnetic dipole can be calculated using the equation W = -mB cosθ, where W is the work done, m is the magnetic moment of the dipole, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the dipole and the field.

2. What causes a compass needle to rotate?

A compass needle rotates because of the torque exerted on it by the Earth's magnetic field. The needle aligns itself with the field, causing it to rotate until it reaches equilibrium.

3. How does the work done on a magnetic dipole affect its orientation?

The work done on a magnetic dipole will cause it to rotate and align itself with the magnetic field. If the work done is positive, the dipole will align itself with the field, while negative work will cause it to rotate away from the field.

4. Can the work done on a magnetic dipole be negative?

Yes, the work done on a magnetic dipole can be negative if the angle between the dipole and the field is greater than 90 degrees. In this case, the dipole will rotate away from the field, resulting in negative work.

5. How is the direction of the work done on a magnetic dipole determined?

The direction of the work done on a magnetic dipole is determined by the direction of the magnetic field and the angle between the dipole and the field. If the angle is less than 90 degrees, the work will be positive and in the same direction as the field. If the angle is greater than 90 degrees, the work will be negative and in the opposite direction of the field.