Work done on an elevator cab

In summary: This is the same equation as the one in the solution manual, but with the cheese weight omitted. The solution manual formula is incorrect.In summary, the solution manual incorrectly states the equation for calculating the force in the cable. The correct equation is either F - (m+M)g = (m+M)a or F - F_N - Mg = Ma. The cheese weight should not be included in the formula as it is not part of the forces acting on the cab.
user14245
The problem
A [itex]0.250 \operatorname{kg}[/itex] block of cheese lies on the floor of a [itex]900 \operatorname{kg}[/itex] elevator cab that is being pulled upward by a cable through distance [itex] d_1 = 2.40 \operatorname{m}[/itex] and then through distance [itex]d_2=10.5 \operatorname{m}[/itex]. Through [itex]d_1[/itex], if the normal force on the block from the floor has constant magnitude [itex]F_N = 3.00\operatorname{N}[/itex], how much work is done on the cab by the force from the cable?
From Fundamentals of Physics, 9th Editon, Problem 25, Chapter 7

My solution manual
Here is what my solution manual says:
The net upward force is given by [itex]F + F_N-(m+M)g = (m+M)a[/itex] where [itex]m=0.250 \operatorname{kg}[/itex] is the mass of the cheese, [itex]M = 900 \operatorname{kg}[/itex] is the mass of the elevator cab, [itex]F[/itex] is the force from the cable, and [itex]F_N = 3.00 \operatorname{N}[/itex] is the normal force on the cheese. On the cheese alone, we have [itex]F_N - mg = ma[/itex], and etc..., the solution continues

My question
I do not see why the first equation is correct. To me, the force [itex]F_N[/itex] is internal between the cab and the block, so once one considers both as a system and applies the Newton's second law, the equation should read [itex]F - (m+M)g = (m+M)a[/itex].

Is the solution manual wrong, or am I overlooking something?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's about the notation as you could have done it your way, that is split the F into Fn(cheese) Fc(cab) and you would get the same result. In your notation you just consider F as the total force not just the force that acts on the cab. The question is how much work is done on the cab, and not cab + cheese.

user14245 said:
I do not see why the first equation is correct. To me, the force [itex]F_N[/itex] is internal between the cab and the block, so once one considers both as a system and applies the Newton's second law, the equation should read [itex]F - (m+M)g = (m+M)a[/itex].

Is the solution manual wrong, or am I overlooking something?
Thank you.
Putting aside the issue of work for a moment, the solution manual for the calculation for the force in the cable is incorrect. Your equation is correct.
Alternatively, if you want to calculate the cable force by first incorporating the normal force exerted by the cheese on the cab, then you must not include the cheese weight in the formula, because it is not part of the FBD for forces acting on the cab.

So, use either
[itex]F - (m+M)g = (m+M)a[/itex], or

[itex]F - F_N - Mg = Ma[/itex].

What is work done on an elevator cab?

Work done on an elevator cab refers to the physical effort or force required to move the cab from one location to another. It is a measure of the energy expended to overcome the force of gravity and move the cab against the resistance of the elevator mechanism.

How is work done on an elevator cab calculated?

Work done on an elevator cab is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the cab by the distance it moves. This is expressed as the product of force and displacement, W = F x d. The unit of work is joules (J).

What factors affect the amount of work done on an elevator cab?

The amount of work done on an elevator cab is affected by the weight of the cab and its occupants, the distance it travels, and the speed at which it moves. Other factors such as friction in the elevator mechanism and air resistance may also impact the amount of work done.

Is work done on an elevator cab the same as energy?

No, work done on an elevator cab is not the same as energy. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, while energy is the ability to do work. Work done on an elevator cab contributes to the cab's kinetic energy, which is a form of energy associated with its motion.

How does the work done on an elevator cab affect its efficiency?

The work done on an elevator cab is directly related to its efficiency. The more work that is done, the less efficient the elevator is. This is because a certain amount of energy is lost due to friction and other factors, so the more work that is done, the more energy is wasted. To improve efficiency, elevators are designed to minimize the work done on the cab and reduce energy loss.