How Far Does the Pile Move with Each Blow of the Hammer?

In summary: Thus 117 600 + mgx = 500 000x -> x = 117 600/(500 000 + mg), and for the given data, x = 0.255 m = 25.5 cmIn summary, a pile driver with a 4000 kg hammer head raised 3.0 m above the pile and dropped onto it has a total energy of 117,600 J. To calculate how far the pile goes with each blow, the energy must be referenced to the depth below the pile top where the hammer hits it. This gives a distance of 25.5 cm, rather than the previously calculated 23.52 cm, due to the potential energy of the hammer at the start of
BEANTOWN

Homework Statement

A pile driver has a hammer head of mass 4000 kg which is repeatedly raised 3.0 m above a pile and dropped onto it. The force required to drive the pile downwards into the ground is 500 000 N. When the hammerhead is dropped, all the energy foes into moving the pile. How far does the pile go with each blow?

Homework Equations

W= Fd
Et= Eg + Ek
Et= mgh + .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the total energy when the hammer is fully raised.

Et= mgh + .5mv^2
Et= (4000)(9.8)(3) + .5(4000((0)?2
Et= 117 600 J

then i did d= W divided by force to get distance

by slash isn't working for some reason so
117600 divided by 500 000=
=.2352 m
= 23.52 cm

The answer is supposed to be 25.5 cm though. I don't know what to do...

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the hammer weight? It has potential energy at the start of the pile motion.

I included it in the calculation. Please show me what you mean.

Your initial calculation had h = 3 m. Using PE = mgh where h =3, gives the PE above the pile top as the reference point. That's fine for calculating the total energy just before the hammer hits the pile.. But when it hits it, the pile moves to a depth 'x', and thus the PE change must be referenced to the depth x below the pile top. So using the instant the hammer hits the pile as the initial point, its energy is 117 600 plus mgx, and the work done on the pile from the ground is 500 000(x).

Your approach is correct, but there may be a slight rounding error in your calculations. I would recommend double checking your calculations and using more precise values for the constants (such as 9.81 for the acceleration due to gravity). Alternatively, you could also use the equation Et=Fd to find the distance, where F is the force and d is the distance. In this case, the distance would be:

d= Et/F
d= 117600/500000
d= 0.2352 m
d= 23.52 cm

This matches your calculation, so it is likely just a matter of rounding. However, if you want to get a more precise answer, you can use more precise values for the constants or use the equation Et=Fd.

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement, where the force is in the same direction as the displacement. It is a measure of the energy transfer that occurs when a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the direction of the force.

2. How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, or from one form to another. When work is done on an object, its energy changes. Similarly, when work is done by an object, its energy decreases.

3. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is work, F is the applied force, d is the displacement, and theta is the angle between the force and the displacement vectors.

4. What is power?

Power is the rate at which work is done, or the amount of work done per unit time. It is measured in watts (W) and is equal to the work done divided by the time taken to do the work.

5. How is power related to work and energy?

Power is related to work and energy through the formula P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. This formula shows that power is directly proportional to work and inversely proportional to time. This means that a higher power output results in more work being done in a shorter amount of time.