Work energy theorem and forces at equilibrium -- Conceptual doubt

Your first solution sounds like you might have been calculating that, while your second solution sounds like it could be the deflection angle that would be measured from the trolley. In summary, when a pendulum of mass m and length l is suspended from the ceiling of a trolley with a constant acceleration a, the maximum deflection θ of the pendulum from the vertical can be calculated using the work energy theorem, resulting in θ = 2 arctan(a/g). However, equating the opposite forces at the equilibrium position leads to θ = arctan(a/g). This is because the pendulum is originally at rest in the vertical position, but when under constant acceleration, it will appear to be at rest with a
Sourav Suresh
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
A pendulum of mass m and length l is suspended from the ceiling of a trolley which has a constant acceleration a. Find the maximum deflection θ of the pendulum from the vertical.

When I used work energy theorem, I got θ = 2 arctan(a/g). But when I took the equilibrium position and equated the opposite forces, I got θ = arctan(a/g). Which is correct & why? Isn’t the bob at equilibrium when it is at its maximum deflection from the vertical?

A book supports the work energy theorem method. There is also a statement in the book saying

"This angle is double to that at the equilibrium."

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have missed a crucial part in your problem statement, which is that the pendulum is originally at rest in the vertical position. Without this information, your problem has no solution.

Sourav Suresh said:
But when I took the equilibrium position and equated the opposite forces, I got θ = arctan(a/g).
Is a pendulum in a non-accelerating system always at rest at its equilibrium position? Why or why not?

Sorry, it is originally at rest

Sourav Suresh said:
This still does not address the questions I asked you in my previous post.

Sourav Suresh said:
A pendulum of mass m and length l is suspended from the ceiling of a trolley which has a constant acceleration a. Find the maximum deflection θ of the pendulum from the vertical.

When I used work energy theorem, I got θ = 2 arctan(a/g). But when I took the equilibrium position and equated the opposite forces, I got θ = arctan(a/g). Which is correct & why? Isn’t the bob at equilibrium when it is at its maximum deflection from the vertical?

A book supports the work energy theorem method. There is also a statement in the book saying

"This angle is double to that at the equilibrium."

If you are standing on the accelerating trolley making physics measurements, it will look and feel just like you are standing still but with the force of gravity pointing both down and a little bit sideways, at angle ##\arctan(a/g)## from the vertical.

So, you have a situation where you are initially at rest and the pendulum is hanging straight down, quietly. Suddenly you switch on a horizontal gravity component ##-a##. What do you think will now be the motion of the pendulum?

Sourav Suresh said:
Vertically or at angle theta?

CWatters said:
Vertically or at angle theta?
vertically

So it starts off with a deflection relative to the resultant of a and g.

1. What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that the work done by all forces acting on an object will result in a change in its speed or direction.

2. How is work calculated in the work-energy theorem?

In the work-energy theorem, work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance over which the force acts. This can be represented by the equation W = F * d.

3. How does the work-energy theorem relate to forces at equilibrium?

The work-energy theorem applies to forces at equilibrium because when an object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity, the net work done on the object is zero. This means that the forces applied to the object are balanced, resulting in no change in its kinetic energy.

4. What is the difference between conservative and non-conservative forces in the work-energy theorem?

Conservative forces, such as gravity and spring forces, do not dissipate energy and the work done by these forces can be recovered. Non-conservative forces, such as friction, dissipate energy and the work done by these forces cannot be recovered. In the work-energy theorem, the total work done by both conservative and non-conservative forces must be taken into account.

5. How does the work-energy theorem apply to real-world situations?

The work-energy theorem is a fundamental concept in physics and applies to many real-world situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the speed of a roller coaster at different points along the track, or the amount of work required to lift an object to a certain height. It is also used in engineering and design to analyze and optimize the efficiency of machines and structures.