Work Energy Theorem and Uniform Disc Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses using the work energy theorem to solve a problem involving the moment of inertia of a uniform disc. The actual answer is half of the attempted answer, and the correct formula for the moment of inertia is mentioned. One participant confirms using the correct formula.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Using work energy theorem, solve:
9rA7A.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The actual answer (3.11s) is exactly half of my answer. Does anyone know what I did wrong?
SFjXx.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that moment of inertia of a uniform disc about an axis through its centre and perpendicular to its plane is

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]MR[itex]^{2}[/itex].

grzz said:
Note that moment of inertia of a uniform disc about an axis through its centre and perpendicular to its plane is

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]MR[itex]^{2}[/itex].

Yup! That is what I used I believe.

theBEAST said:
Yup! That is what I used I believe.
There should be two factors of 1/2 - one from Iω2/2 for the KE and another from I=Mr2/2.

I would like to first clarify that the Work Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In the context of the Uniform Disc Problem, this means that the work done by the applied force (in this case, the friction force) is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the disc.

To solve this problem, we can use the formula for work done: W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the applied force, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. In this case, the distance is the circumference of the disc, which is 2πr, where r is the radius of the disc.

Therefore, the work done by the friction force can be written as W = μmg(2πr), where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the disc, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

According to the Work Energy Theorem, this work done by the friction force is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the disc, which can be written as ΔKE = ½mv^2 - 0, since the disc starts from rest. So, we can equate these two equations and solve for v, which gives us v = √(2μgr).

Now, to find the time it takes for the disc to stop, we can use the formula for velocity: v = d/t, where d is the distance traveled and t is the time taken. In this case, the distance traveled is the circumference of the disc, which is 2πr, and the final velocity is 0, since the disc stops. So, we can write the equation as 0 = (2πr)/t, which gives us t = (2πr)/v.

Substituting the value of v we found earlier, we get t = (2πr)/√(2μgr). Plugging in the given values of μ, m, and r, we get t = (2π*0.2*0.5)/(√(2*9.8*0.5)) = 3.11 seconds.

Therefore, the time it takes for the disc to stop is 3.11 seconds, which is the correct answer. It is possible that you made a calculation error or used incorrect values, which led to your answer being different. I

Related to Work Energy Theorem and Uniform Disc Problem

What is the Work Energy Theorem?

The Work Energy Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its speed or direction of motion.

How is the Work Energy Theorem related to the Uniform Disc Problem?

The Uniform Disc Problem is a specific application of the Work Energy Theorem that involves a uniform disc rolling down a slope. In this problem, the work done by the force of gravity on the disc is equal to the change in its kinetic energy, which can be used to solve for its final speed at the bottom of the slope.

What is the definition of a uniform disc?

A uniform disc is a disc-shaped object with a constant mass distribution throughout its entire volume. This means that all points on the disc have the same mass and density, resulting in a symmetrical shape.

How do you calculate the work done by a force on a uniform disc?

The work done by a force on a uniform disc can be calculated using the formula W = Fd cosθ, where W is the work done, F is the applied force, d is the distance over which the force is applied, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion of the disc.

What are some real-life examples of the Work Energy Theorem and the Uniform Disc Problem?

The Work Energy Theorem and the Uniform Disc Problem can be applied to many real-life situations, such as a rolling ball on a flat surface, a car rolling down a hill, or a pendulum swinging back and forth. These principles are also used in engineering and design, such as in the construction of roller coasters and other amusement park rides.