Work Energy Theorem in Spring Block System

In summary, when applying the Work-Energy Theorem in a vertical Spring-Block system performing SHM, it is simpler to consider all forces, including gravity, spring force, and kinetic energy, from the relaxed length of the spring rather than the equilibrium position. This approach may be more helpful in exercises, where the net force and net potential energy can be used to simplify calculations. However, in principle, the work done by gravity should still be considered from the equilibrium position. Providing a complete problem statement for any exercises can help clarify any confusion.
SDewan
Just got confused that while applying the Work - Energy Theorem in a vertical Spring-Block system performing SHM (considering no other external forces other than gravity), when I apply the theorem from equilibrium position, do I consider the work done by gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello SD, :welcome:

In principle: yes.
In exercises it's often easier to work with the net force (i.e. the vector sum of the spring force and the gravitational force) and the associated net potential energy ##{1\over 2} kx^2## where ##x## is the extension minus the equilibrium extension.

If you want this clearer, you may want to provide a complete problem statement for the exercise that confused you.

Yea I understood that it will be better to apply the W-E Principle from the relaxed length of the spring, rather than the equilibrium position.
I feel that it is simpler to take all forces into consideration. i.e. gravity, spring force and the kinetic energy.
I have got the clarity, thanks a ton!

1. What is the Work Energy Theorem in a Spring Block System?

The Work Energy Theorem in a Spring Block System states that the work done by the spring force on a block is equal to the change in the kinetic energy of the block. This theorem is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

2. How is the Work Energy Theorem applied to a Spring Block System?

In a Spring Block System, the Work Energy Theorem is applied by considering the work done by the spring force, which is given by the formula W = (1/2)kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the block from its equilibrium position. This work is then equated to the change in kinetic energy of the block, which is given by the formula K = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the block and v is its velocity.

3. What is the significance of the Work Energy Theorem in a Spring Block System?

The Work Energy Theorem in a Spring Block System is significant because it allows us to determine the work done by the spring force on the block, which in turn helps us calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the block at any given point. This theorem also helps us understand the relationship between work, energy, and force in a dynamic system.

4. What are the assumptions made when applying the Work Energy Theorem in a Spring Block System?

The main assumptions made when applying the Work Energy Theorem in a Spring Block System are that the spring is ideal (massless and frictionless) and that the block is moving in one dimension only. In reality, these assumptions may not hold true, but they provide a simplified model for understanding the behavior of spring block systems.

5. Can the Work Energy Theorem be applied to other systems besides Spring Block Systems?

Yes, the Work Energy Theorem can be applied to other systems besides Spring Block Systems. It is a general principle that states that the work done by all the forces acting on a system is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the system. This principle can be applied to various mechanical and non-mechanical systems to study their behavior and dynamics.