Work needed to stop a rolling hoop

In summary, the work needed to bring the thin hoop with a mass of 7.8kg and a center of mass velocity of 0.23 m/s to a stop would be equal to the positive work done to increase its kinetic energy. The correct equation to use is KE = KEtranslational + KErotational = (1/2)mvcm2 + (1/2)Iw2. The relationship between tangential velocity and angular velocity (v = wr) should also be used to find the necessary variables.
IAmPat

Homework Statement

A thin hoop of mass 7.8kg rolls on a horizontal floor with a speed (at its center of mass) of 0.23 m/s. How much work must be done on the hoop to bring it to a stop.

Homework Equations

m = 7.8kg
Vcm = 0.23m/s

KE = 1/2*m*Vcm + 1/2Iw2

I = m*r2

The Attempt at a Solution

So the work done on the hoop to increase its KE is positive, so the work needed to stop it would be the same, but negative.

KE = 1/2*m*Vcm + 1/2*I*w2
KE = 1/2*(7.8)*(0.23) + 1/2*(m*r2) * w2

This is all I have, I don't know how to find all the necessary variables when I'm only given the mass and velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
r is required, you can't do without that unless one of these is mentioned:
1. There is no or negligible angular velocity
2. The radius is negligibly small

First, you should use the correct equation:

KE = KEtranslational + KErotational = (1/2)mvcm2 + (1/2)Iw2

You should know (and use) the relationship between the tangetial velocity of a rotating wheel and w. It is this: v = wr

From this, you can see that w and r can be free to be anything as long as their product is V. This is also why neither were mentioned in the problem.

Related to Work needed to stop a rolling hoop

1. What is the definition of work needed to stop a rolling hoop?

The work needed to stop a rolling hoop is the amount of energy required to bring the hoop to a complete stop.

2. How is the work needed to stop a rolling hoop calculated?

The work needed to stop a rolling hoop can be calculated using the formula W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the force is applied over.

3. What factors affect the work needed to stop a rolling hoop?

The work needed to stop a rolling hoop is affected by the mass and velocity of the hoop, as well as the friction between the hoop and the surface it is rolling on.

4. Is the work needed to stop a rolling hoop dependent on the direction of the hoop's rotation?

No, the work needed to stop a rolling hoop is independent of the direction of rotation. The same amount of work is required to stop a hoop regardless of whether it is rotating clockwise or counterclockwise.

5. Can the work needed to stop a rolling hoop be reduced?

Yes, the work needed to stop a rolling hoop can be reduced by decreasing the hoop's mass or velocity, or by reducing the friction between the hoop and the surface it is rolling on.