Work or Net Work when calculating Power?

In summary: If, in the question, the second force had been to the N, all else the same, it would have done no work (no displacement in the NS direction).
brawler234
Homework Statement
Calculate the power.
Forces: 5N east, 2N west
Displacement: 3m east
Time: 3s
Relevant Equations
Work, Power
When calculating power, which is Work/time, do we consider NET work (work calculated based on net force) or just work done by the individual force that goes in the same direction as the displacement?

If it's the first, then power is 3W.
If it's the second, then power is 5W.

Which one is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
brawler234 said:
Homework Statement:: Calculate the power.
Forces: 5N east, 2N west
Displacement: 3m east
Time: 3s
Homework Equations:: Work, Power

When calculating power, which is Work/time, do we consider NET work (work calculated based on net force) or just work done by the individual force that goes in the same direction as the displacement?

If it's the first, then power is 3W.
If it's the second, then power is 5W.

Which one is correct?
It depends what the question asks for. Please quote the whole question.

haruspex said:
It depends what the question asks for. Please quote the whole question.

It basically just asks us to calculate the power.

brawler234 said:
It basically just asks us to calculate the power.
If the information you posted is really all you have, and a single answer is wanted, then I would go for net power.
The alternative is to say the first force exerts power 5W while the second exerts power -2W.

haruspex said:
If the information you posted is really all you have, and a single answer is wanted, then I would go for net power.
The alternative is to say the first force exerts power 5W while the second exerts power -2W.

But I thought that force needs to be in the same direction as displacement, otherwise work isn't done.

brawler234 said:
But I thought that force needs to be in the same direction as displacement, otherwise work isn't done.
yes, but that includes the case of opposite direction.
If a force F advances a distance s then it does work Fs. This is true even when F or s is negative,
If I push against an object with force 2N and it yields 1m I have done work 2J on it.
If, at the same time, you were pushing the opposite way with force 1N then the object has done work 1J on you (and you have done work -1J on the object). The net work done on the object is 2-1=1J, and this will take the form of gained KE.

If, in the question, the second force had been to the N, all else the same, it would have done no work (no displacement in the NS direction).

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the measure of energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and it moves in the direction of the force.

2. What is net work?

Net work is the total work done on an object, taking into account the direction of the force and any opposing forces.

3. How is work related to power?

Work and power are related in that work is the amount of energy transferred while power is the rate at which work is done. Power is calculated by dividing the work by the time it takes to do the work.

4. How do you calculate work?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The equation is W=Fd.

5. Can net work be negative?

Yes, net work can be negative if the opposing forces are greater than the applied force. This means that the object is losing energy instead of gaining it.