Work Problem -- Wood Block Sliding into a Spring

In summary: If the block was moving west and the spring was pushing the block east to stop it, would the equation then be F(x) = kx or it would it still F(x) = -kx since the spring is slowing the block down?The equation would be F(x) = kx since the spring is slowing the block down.
Che8833
Homework Statement
Suppose the force exerted by a spring is F(x) = -kx and the spring has constant k = 325 N/m. Then suppose a wooden cube headed east with mass m = 6 kg traveling with an initial velocity on a level surface with kinetic coefficient of friction 0.250 presses against the spring and it compresses from x = 0 to x = 0.70 meters as it stops. What is the net work done? HINT: You need to integrate to solve.
Relevant Equations
F(x) = -kx and the spring has constant k = 325 N/m

Kinetic coefficient of friction 0.250

Spring compresses from x = 0 to x = 0.70 meters
W_net = Integral from 0 to 0.70 meters [ - F_spring - F_friction ]

= 1/2 * (-k) * x^2 - mu * mg * normal force * x

= 1/2 * (-325N/m) * (.70)^2 - 0.250 * 6kg * 9.81m/s^2 * 0.70 - 0

= - 89.93 Joules

Is this correct and am I setting this whole thing up correctly? The negative signs have me bit confused. Also, am I supposed to integrate the Force of friction like this or do I treat it as a constant?

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't show how you integrated the friction force, but yes, one usually assumes it's constant. You know what happens when you integrate a constant, right?

-89.9 J of work is done on the wooden cube.
+89.9 J of work is done by the wooden cube.

It's not clear which of these is being asked for, but I would guess the former.

Mister T said:
You didn't show how you integrated the friction force, but yes, one usually assumes it's constant. You know what happens when you integrate a constant, right?

-89.9 J of work is done on the wooden cube.
+89.9 J of work is done by the wooden cube.

It's not clear which of these is being asked for, but I would guess the former.

Does it make sense that I am leaving the spring constant negative and subtracting the work done by friction? I was thinking that should be the case since its vector is going the same direction as the spring is pushing or am I wrong about this? I saw a similar problem online and the spring constant k was positive and the work done by friction was being subtracted. Can you please explain what's correct? Thanks for your help.

Che8833 said:
Does it make sense that I am leaving the spring constant negative and subtracting the work done by friction?

But you didn't make ##k## negative. You simply have a minus sign in front of ##k##. It makes no difference where you put it. ##-ab=a(-b)=(-a)b##.

Yes if you are talking the net work done on the block, both friction and the spring force are opposite the motion (displacement) of the block. Can you think of an example where the work done on the block by the spring is positive?

PhanthomJay said:
Yes if you are talking the net work done on the block, both friction and the spring force are opposite the motion (displacement) of the block. Can you think of an example where the work done on the block by the spring is positive?

If the block was moving west and the spring was pushing the block east to stop it, would the equation then be F(x) = kx or it would it still F(x) = -kx since the spring is slowing the block down? Because wouldn't it still be considered negative work?

Negative work occurs when the force and displacement of the object along its line of action are in opposite directions. So can you answer your last question?

Last edited:
Che8833 said:
What is the net work done? HINT: You need to integrate to solve.
Net work done on the block or net work done on the spring?
Either way, I cannot see any need to integrate. Each of those answers can be written down immediately using very standard equations.

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is the purpose of studying the work problem of a wood block sliding into a spring?

The purpose of studying this work problem is to understand the relationship between work, energy, and the motion of objects. This problem allows us to apply the principles of work and energy to a real-world scenario, and to see how different forces can affect the motion of an object.

2. How is work defined in this problem?

In this problem, work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In other words, work is the energy transferred to or from an object as a result of a force acting on it.

3. What is the role of the spring in this problem?

The spring in this problem acts as a restoring force, meaning it exerts a force in the opposite direction of the displacement of the wood block. This force allows the wood block to return to its original position, and it also plays a crucial role in calculating the work done on the block.

4. How do we calculate the work done on the wood block as it slides into the spring?

The work done on the wood block can be calculated by multiplying the force of gravity acting on the block by the distance it moves as it slides into the spring. This work done is equal to the change in the potential energy of the block-spring system.

5. What are some real-world applications of this work problem?

This work problem has various real-world applications, such as in engineering and physics. It can be used to analyze the motion of objects on inclined planes, the efficiency of machines, and the behavior of springs in different systems. It also has practical applications in designing and optimizing systems that involve the use of springs, such as shock absorbers and trampolines.