Worth of doing pure math if not going into academia?

In summary: There is a lot of variety in the types of work that people do.What are your thoughts on actuarial science? I feel like that'd be a really good math-based career.
RoZ589
Is it worth doing pure math if you're not going into academia? Would it be a bad idea to get your bachelors in pure math and stop there? Is pure math just something for people who want to go on to grad school?

I'm just not sure if there are good job prospects for someone with a bachelors in pure math, I feel like applied math or statistics heavy stuff is usually the way to go, but if I choose this route I may miss out on some interesting topics like analysis, algebra, and topology. Anyone have any insight into this?

Physics news on Phys.org
My two cents:
If you major in pure math and do not go to graduate school, it is likely to become just an interesting hobby for you. It's nice to use your degree subject in a job. If you think you may be interested in applied math and statistics, I would recommend that you pursue that.

PS. Pay attention to the computer tools that help you apply your math and statistics.

Likes Eclair_de_XII and Logical Dog
FactChecker said:
My two cents:
If you major in pure math and do not go to graduate school, it is likely to become just an interesting hobby for you. It's nice to use your degree subject in a job. If you think you may be interested in applied math and statistics, I would recommend that you pursue that.

PS. Pay attention to the computer tools that help you apply your math and statistics.
What are your thoughts on actuarial science? I feel like that'd be a really good math-based career.

RoZ589 said:
What are your thoughts on actuarial science? I feel like that'd be a really good math-based career.

Then why not major in that from the very beginning?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Then why not major in that from the very beginning?

Zz.
My school actually offers that, but I've been told by many people that choosing to major in it pigeonholes you and pretty much screws you over if you end up not being an actuary. I was thinking about doing pure/ financial math instead of the actual actuary program (I also need help with choosing), but ultimately I do think I'd like to become an actuary. Here are the curriculums:

-ActSci: https://math.osu.edu/sites/math.osu.edu/files/undergrad_current-majors_requirements_actuarial.pdf
-Financial Mathematics: https://math.osu.edu/sites/math.osu.edu/files/undergrad_current-majors_requirements_financial.pdf
-Theoretical Mathematics: https://math.osu.edu/sites/math.osu.edu/files/undergrad_current-majors_requirements_theoretical.pdf

I am a mathematician. I have been in research for my whole working life, but never as a mathematician. Being a mathematician though, has helped me enormously in my work, such as
  • Deciphering patent claims
  • Creating algorithms for transforming robot arm paths to robot motor positions
  • Finding faults in software
Remember that one of the most important things you learn in advanced mathematics is to be skeptical to any "proof" you do not follow or do not agree with.

RoZ589 said:
There is a long series of exams that you will need to pass to become a certified actuary (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actuarial_credentialing_and_exams). The last ones are very tough. I know graduate students in math who did not pass the exams.

There is a wide range of fields that are available to applied mathematicians and statisticians, including engineering, financial, operations research.

1. What career opportunities are available for pure math graduates outside of academia?

While academia is often seen as the most common career path for pure math graduates, there are actually many other career opportunities available. Some of these include working in finance, data analysis, cryptography, software development, and consulting. Many employers value the problem-solving skills and analytical thinking that are developed through studying pure math.

2. Is it financially viable to pursue pure math if not going into academia?

While academia can offer more stable and higher-paying jobs, there are still opportunities for financial success outside of academia. Many pure math graduates find high-paying jobs in industries such as finance, technology, and data analysis. Additionally, pursuing advanced degrees and certifications can also lead to higher-paying job opportunities.

3. How can pure math skills be applied in non-academic settings?

Pure math skills can be applied in a variety of non-academic settings. For example, the problem-solving and critical thinking skills developed through studying pure math can be useful in fields such as engineering, computer science, and business. Additionally, the ability to analyze and interpret data is highly valued in many industries.

4. Can pure math be used in other scientific fields?

Absolutely. Pure math is the foundation of many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. Many breakthroughs in these fields would not have been possible without the use of pure math concepts and techniques. In fact, many scientists rely on mathematicians to help solve complex problems in their research.

5. How can pursuing pure math benefit me outside of a specific career?

Pursuing pure math can lead to numerous personal benefits, even if you do not end up in a specific career. Studying pure math can improve critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are valuable in all areas of life. Additionally, the pursuit of knowledge and understanding can bring a sense of fulfillment and personal growth.