Pure maths or applied maths as a second major to physics

In summary: But, you don't need to go that far; you could take a real analysis course instead.Real analysisReal analysis is a good foundation for understanding complex analysis. It covers things like contour integrals, functional analysis, and Euler's equation. It's a good choice if you want to study complex analysis or probability and statistics.+1
Captain Kneecaps
I am currently in my second year of studying a bachelor in physics and applied maths. My aim is to one day do research in physics. I am particularly interested in subjects such as gauge theories, AdS/CFT and gravity. My question is whether it would be more beneficial to switch from studying physics and applied maths to physics and pure maths? The two courses only differ in third year. These are the differences

Applied Maths
  • Partial differential equations
  • Partial differential equations (numerical)
  • Dynamic systems
  • Optimisation

Pure Maths
  • Real analysis
  • Combinatorics
  • Complex analysis
  • Algebraic structures

Physics news on Phys.org
A priori, it's more likely that applied math will fit into physics. But it ultimately depends on what you want to do. Depending on your university, you could possibly also do an interdisciplinary degree mixing the two if there's classes from each you want to take.

It's a little difficult to be sure without carefully examining the syllabus for each class. The applied classes look OK. The differential equations are pretty much required IMHO. Is it possible to "mix and match?"

The one that "glimmers" there is complex analysis. There are lots of times you will want that in the research areas that you mention. You need things like contour integrals and dealing with Euler's equation and all that good stuff. Possibly real analysis goes with? Maybe keep the differential equations and grab those two analysis courses.

But definitely discuss this with the appropriate guidance person or professor. There may be reasons that this division would be a bad idea.

Likes PeroK and FactChecker
Complex analysis is also important for understanding Fourier analysis. I think that is important.

Captain Kneecaps said:
I am currently in my second year of studying a bachelor in physics and applied maths. My aim is to one day do research in physics. I am particularly interested in subjects such as gauge theories, AdS/CFT and gravity. My question is whether it would be more beneficial to switch from studying physics and applied maths to physics and pure maths? The two courses only differ in third year. These are the differences

Applied Maths
  • Partial differential equations
  • Partial differential equations (numerical)
  • Dynamic systems
  • Optimisation

Pure Maths
  • Real analysis
  • Combinatorics
  • Complex analysis
  • Algebraic structures

In general the pure maths courses are not likely to provide you with much in the way of a toolbox. The complex analysis, of course, may include contour integration. But, it won't be the purpose of the course to teach you integration methods. The focus of the course may be very different.

Complex numbers, Fourier Analysis and contour integration are covered in mathematical methods books - such as Boas, for example. You don't have to do a pure maths course in complex analysis to study these.

There's something to be said for learning some real analysis, but it may be something that you could do as a personal vacation project. Rather than putting yourself under the pressure of trying to pass an exam in the whole subject. I would definitely advise taking a look at the subject first. You may be horrified by epsilon-delta proofs!

The course missing from your list is Linear Algebra. If there is a pure maths course worth doing as a physicist, I suggest it's linear algebra.

Likes JD_PM, DEvens and FactChecker
PeroK said:
Complex numbers, Fourier Analysis and contour integration are covered in mathematical methods books - such as Boas, for example. You don't have to do a pure maths course in complex analysis to study these.

... The course missing from your list is Linear Algebra. If there is a pure maths course worth doing as a physicist, I suggest it's linear algebra.
I agree. A full pure math course in complex analysis is not very efficient in learning what you would need to know. Another course that I don't see is probability and statistics, which I think would be helpful.

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
In general the pure maths courses are not likely to provide you with much in the way of a toolbox. The complex analysis, of course, may include contour integration. But, it won't be the purpose of the course to teach you integration methods. The focus of the course may be very different.

FactChecker said:
A full pure math course in complex analysis is not very efficient in learning what you would need to know.
+1
When I was in school taking complex analysis - as taught in the math department - I had no idea what it was all about. Only when I took math methods in the physics department, did it become clear why I might need to use it.

Since then, though, I have learned that the "pure" complex analysis is a beautiful subject and no wonder the math guys loved it so much.

Likes FactChecker and PeroK
These decisions are less important once one realizes that the more important contribution in a good education is not the topic learned but learning how to learn by exposure to a broad array of math and physics topics. Either path should provide that. But in either path you will still likely have to (more or less) teach yourself lots and lots of new stuff in your career.

Dr. Courtney said:
you will still likely have to (more or less) teach yourself lots and lots of new stuff in your career.
A very good point, often overlooked in these threads.

1. What is the difference between pure math and applied math?

Pure math is the study of mathematical concepts and theories for their own sake, without any immediate real-world applications. Applied math, on the other hand, uses mathematical principles to solve practical problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Which major, pure math or applied math, is more relevant to physics?

Both pure math and applied math can be useful in physics, but applied math is generally more directly applicable. It involves using mathematical tools to analyze and solve problems in physics, while pure math focuses more on abstract concepts that may not have immediate applications in physics.

3. Can I major in both pure math and applied math as a second major to physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in pure math and applied math as a second major to physics. However, this may require taking a heavier course load and may not be feasible for all students.

4. Which major, pure math or applied math, is more challenging?

This can vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. Pure math may be more challenging for those who struggle with abstract concepts, while applied math may be more challenging for those who struggle with real-world applications.

5. How can a second major in pure math or applied math benefit my career in physics?

A second major in pure math or applied math can provide you with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in the field of physics. It can also open up opportunities for research and graduate studies in both math and physics.