Would a Bird Be Able to Fly on The Moon?

• Thread starter Justhelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird Moon
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a bird flying on the moon, taking into account the lack of atmosphere and the laws of physics. Some suggest that a bird with a breathing apparatus could potentially fly on the moon, while others argue that it would violate Newton's laws of motion. The conversation also brings up the idea of a bird flying in a low orbit around the moon, but it is ultimately concluded that a bird flying on the moon in the traditional sense would be impossible due to the lack of air and atmosphere.
Justhelp

Homework Statement

The bird is fitted with a breathing apparatus, released on the moon could it fly?

Homework Equations

It doesn't violate any of Newtons laws, but I could be missing something.

The Attempt at a Solution

The best answer that is listed is that the question is in error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the moon have an atmosphere?

What are the forces acting on a bird as it flies?

Justhelp said:
It doesn't violate any of Newtons laws, but I could be missing something.
What's your reasoning?

The moon has gravity. And I don't see how the laws of motion could be changed.

Here is another, a feather and a coin are dropped on the moon from the same height which hits sooner? I know I have to take the moon's gravity into account. Is there a formula to solve this?

I'd like to think they would drop at the same time because of no wind resistince?

Justhelp said:

The gravitational pull is not what keeps a bird up. How does a bird on Earth stay aloft?

By air.. And there is no wind resistance from what I concluded with in the other problem..

Justhelp said:
The laws of motion are certainly not changed on the moon. Does the moon have what is required for a bird to fly? How do they fly anyway?

Can a fish swim without water? Can a bird fly without air? Just a hint @ OP.

No, the bird would not be able to fly. Violating Newtons second law then?

Justhelp said:
No, the bird would not be able to fly. Violating Newtons second law then?

why do you think a law would be violated?

The choices are violating Newtons 1st, 2'd, or 3rd law or no gravity on the moon or the question is in error. I think the 2'd law because accel=net force/ mass, accel. would be low enough the bird could not fly? I am still thinking.

I have to right now. Thank you for any further help.

If those are the only options, the question was not posed with the correct answer.

If the question is posed as "IF a bird were to fly on the moon, what laws of physics would be violated", then there is a solution. If there is no air, there is nothing for a bird to apply any forces to to keep aloft.

Technicality: the bird could be placed in a low orbit around the moon complete with breathing apparatus.

So yes, a bird *can be made to* fly astronautically on the moon but not using its innate biological capacity for aerodynamic flight.

I think it violates Newton's 3rd. Law. Action up reaction none. As in conservation of momentum.
Once you violate the law, it becomes unphysical. If a ghost can push you down, but you can't push him/her back then the ghost is unphysical.

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
I think it violates Newton's 3rd. Law. Action up reaction none. As in conservation of momentum.

Depends on how you define "fly". How much time should one be in the air in order to "fly".

dimension10 said:
Depends on how you define "fly". How much time should one be in the air in order to "fly".

If it glides, it needs 3rd law too.
Maybe it just orbiting the moon at low altitude.
Radius of the moon, 1,737.10 km (0.273 Earths)
Acceleration say 1/3 of g.

mg=0.5mv2/r
v≈3km/sec.

I don't know of any bird can fly that fast.

Related to Would a Bird Be Able to Fly on The Moon?

1. Can birds fly on the moon?

No, birds would not be able to fly on the moon because there is no air or atmosphere for them to fly in. Without air, birds will not be able to generate lift and stay in flight.

2. Why can't birds fly on the moon?

Birds need air to create lift and stay in flight. On the moon, there is no atmosphere or air to provide the necessary lift for birds to fly. Therefore, they would not be able to fly on the moon.

3. Are there any birds that can survive on the moon?

No, there are no known birds that can survive on the moon. Birds require air, food, and water to survive, which are not present on the moon. Additionally, the moon's surface is too harsh and lacks the necessary resources for birds to survive.

4. Could birds adapt to the moon's environment and fly?

No, it is highly unlikely that birds could adapt to the moon's environment and fly. Birds have evolved to live and fly in Earth's atmosphere, and the conditions on the moon are vastly different. It would be challenging for birds to adapt their physiology and behavior to survive and fly on the moon.

5. Would birds be able to fly in spacesuits on the moon?

No, birds would not be able to fly in spacesuits on the moon. Spacesuits are designed for human astronauts and do not provide the necessary conditions for birds to fly. Additionally, spacesuits are bulky and would hinder a bird's ability to move and fly freely.