Would a Very Large Mass (e.g. the Moon) Fall with g?

In summary, inertia is what would cause the marble and moon to hit the surface at different times, due to their different centers of mass.
John Mohr
Today, I had a thought experiment where I began to puzzle over inertia of very large masses being dropped.

Imagine a scenario where the Moon was suspended 100 m from the surface of the Earth alongside a marble at the same height. Now ignoring air resistance and the gravity exerted by the Moon on the marble, let's suppose they were "dropped" from that point. Would they hit the Earth's surface at the same time?

My thoughts were that the Moon would lag behind and hit the surface after the marble due to it's great inertia. Also, one would noticeably feel the Earth falling "up" towards the Moon.

Would anyone else like to weigh in on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
John Mohr said:
Imagine a scenario where the Moon was suspended 100 m from the surface of the Earth alongside a marble at the same height.
Is the bottom of the marble at the same height as the bottom of the moon? Or is the center of the marble at the same height as the center of the moon?

In any case, moon and marble will move with the same acceleration towards earth

Also, one would noticeably feel the Earth falling "up" towards the Moon.

That's true. You would also notice tide and wind currents-atmospheric pressure changes by just approaching moon to earth

John Mohr said:
Today, I had a thought experiment where I began to puzzle over inertia of very large masses being dropped.

Imagine a scenario where the Moon was suspended 100 m from the surface of the Earth alongside a marble at the same height.

Given the Moon is ##3,500km## in diameter, that's not a scenario I can imagine.

A superdense marble with the mass of the moon, perhaps.

Dale said:
Is the bottom of the marble at the same height as the bottom of the moon? Or is the center of the marble at the same height as the center of the moon?

Good question! I visualized the bottom of the marble at the same point as the bottom of the Moon (so that both would cover the same distance).

PeroK said:
Given the Moon is ##3,500km## in diameter, that's not a scenario I can imagine.

A superdense marble with the mass of the moon, perhaps.
Ah yes, this would be a good idea PeroK. Something like the material of a neutron star with the volume of a marble.

John Mohr said:
Good question! I visualized the bottom of the marble at the same point as the bottom of the Moon (so that both would cover the same distance).
So then the marble will hit first, not because it has less inertia, but because its center of mass is closer so the gravitational field is stronger.

Likes miltos and PeroK
John Mohr said:
Ah yes, this would be a good idea PeroK. Something like the material of a neutron star with the volume of a marble.
In this scenario they would hit at the same time.

Dale said:
So then the marble will hit first, not because it has less inertia, but because its center of mass is closer so the gravitational field is stronger.
Ah yes Dale, very cool. I would agree for this scenario as the center of mass and center of gravity would be a quite different points.

John Mohr said:
Ah yes Dale, very cool. I would agree for this scenario as the center of mass and center of gravity would be a quite different points.
But if I may add, the only reason they hit at the same time is because the superdense marble is pulling on Earth which changes the outcomes for both the marbles. If we tried the experiment twice, once with the superdense marble and once with the regular marble, then the superdense marble with hit the Earth in less time.

Likes John Mohr
Choosing the common and non-accelerating center of mass of Earth plus moon as the reference frame, then the acceleration of the moon towards that common center of mass is due to Earth's gravity field. The Earth would also be accelerating towards the common center of mass due to the moon's gravitational field. The combined masses affect the rate of closure, but not the rate of acceleration towards a common center of mass.

Last edited:
Likes Dale and John Mohr
I'm not sure if it's because I've watched too many Star Wars movies of star destroyers crashing down to the surface's of various planets slowly, but it seemed to me like the inertia would take time to overcome.

Likes Dale

1. Would a very large mass like the Moon fall with g?

Yes, the Moon does fall with g. Every object with mass in the universe is affected by gravity, including the Moon. In fact, the Moon’s orbit around Earth is due to the force of gravity.

2. How is the acceleration due to gravity (g) affected by a very large mass like the Moon?

The acceleration due to gravity, or g, is not affected by the mass of an object. It only depends on the distance between two objects and the universal gravitational constant (G). So, the Moon's large mass does not change the value of g on Earth.

3. Does the Moon experience the same acceleration due to gravity (g) as objects on Earth?

No, the Moon's acceleration due to gravity is different from objects on Earth. The Moon's gravity is about one-sixth of Earth's gravity, so objects on the Moon would fall with a slower acceleration (g=1.62 m/s²) compared to objects on Earth (g=9.8 m/s²).

4. How does the Moon's large mass affect its gravitational pull on other objects?

The Moon's large mass gives it a strong gravitational pull on other objects, causing them to be attracted towards it. This gravitational pull is what keeps the Moon in Earth's orbit and affects the tides on Earth.

5. If a very large mass like the Moon fell to Earth, how would it impact the planet?

If the Moon fell to Earth, it would have a catastrophic impact on the planet. The Moon's large mass and high velocity would cause massive destruction and potentially alter Earth's orbit and rotation. However, this scenario is highly unlikely as the Moon is in a stable orbit around Earth and the force of gravity between them keeps them apart.